That 1950s-60s CG Sound

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
petermc61

Re: That 1950s-60s CG Sound

Postby petermc61 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:54 am

I think it's a combination of things - more guitars are built for volume than tonal purity, transistors and then integrated circuits were invented and neither has the harmonic structure of good valves, and lastly digital recording came along in place of analogue recording. Taken together that's a far less pleasing, and in my view, sound accurate to the essence of the CG.

Dirck Nagy

Postby Dirck Nagy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:27 am

petermc61 wrote:I think it's a combination of things - more guitars are built for volume than tonal purity, transistors and then integrated circuits were invented and neither has the harmonic structure of good valves, and lastly digital recording came along in place of analogue recording. Taken together that's a far less pleasing, and in my view, sound accurate to the essence of the CG.

I'm guessing its also due to the characteristics of the recording tape, especially frequency response and saturation...? Then hand in hand with the transistors came compression and equalization.

But I'll bet you're right on especially with the valve vs. transistor bit.

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Logan G

Postby Logan G » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:19 am

What changes too are people's ears. The players up and coming are younger and they grew up hearing a different day to day quality of tone. What folks grew up hearing in the 60s is different than the 90s and beyond. I love the traditional built guitars. That thick round Romanillos tone gives me goose bumps. But it is what it is. My favorite guitar is the one I have in my hand at the moment I want to play! :D

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”