Video Recording of Classical Guitar

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
leslietranter

Video Recording of Classical Guitar

Postby leslietranter » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi, It has been on my mind to start recording to video my pieces as I get them to an appropriate level. I have a Canon 60D digital slr camera but I do not think that the inbuilt microphone is really up to the job, it sounds very tinny. Can delcamp members recommend a suitable microphone and set-up to get reasonable results without breaking the bank or requiring mixing desks and software. I would just like to be able to hear something approaching the sound which comes out of the guitar. Or is this like the search for the Holy Grail? Thanks for your time.

Gary Macleod

Re: Video Recording of Classical Guitar

Postby Gary Macleod » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Do you have an iphone or ipad, look at my ad for an AKG C1000 in the for sale section.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:50 pm

leslietranter wrote: Or is this like the search for the Holy Grail? Thanks for your time.

On the contrary, with today's technology achieving what to my ears sounds like a studio recording at home and with inexpensive equipment is pretty easy.

leslietranter

Postby leslietranter » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:Do you have an iphone or ipad, look at my ad for an AKG C1000 in the for sale section.

Thanks for reply Gary. No, I do not have an ipad - presumably this would be required for processing the audio output? I had hoped that a straightforward solution such as directional mike with audio output straight into camera might do the job.

leslietranter

Postby leslietranter » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
leslietranter wrote: Or is this like the search for the Holy Grail? Thanks for your time.

On the contrary, with today's technology achieving what to my ears sounds like a studio recording at home and with inexpensive equipment is pretty easy.

Thanks Denian. Hopefully there will some replies with simple proposals which live up to expectations.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm using a Presonus VSL22 sound card (£130), a pair of audio technica 4033 condensor mics (admittedly a little pricey at £380 each), and a macbook running Studio One (£270), and that's it.
So, excluding the laptop my investment has been £1160. As you can see the mics were my costliest item, but there are many other cheaper options, some with just as good quality (research needed here...)

Have fun :)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 pm

A portable recorder such as Zoom H2 will record adequately, transfer to computer via USB enabling audio to sync with the video (which will be limited in time but probably not enough to be a problem, will be in the manual). Video software should be already on computer or readily available, doesn't need to be fancy, merely of a sort that shows the audio waveform.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

leslietranter

Postby leslietranter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:A portable recorder such as Zoom H2 will record adequately, transfer to computer via USB enabling audio to sync with the video (which will be limited in time but probably not enough to be a problem, will be in the manual). Video software should be already on computer or readily available, doesn't need to be fancy, merely of a sort that shows the audio waveform.

Thanks Stephen. I had originally been thinking that there might be solution which simply involved a microphone which would either sit on my camera's hotshoe or on a stand near the guitar from which there would be a lead which would run to the mic in socket on my camera. I am getting the feeling that this is not going to be satisfactory as nobody has yet proposed such a solution. Perhaps we could talk about the options at my next lesson.

leslietranter

Postby leslietranter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:23 am

Denian Arcoleo wrote:I'm using a Presonus VSL22 sound card (£130), a pair of audio technica 4033 condensor mics (admittedly a little pricey at £380 each), and a macbook running Studio One (£270), and that's it.
So, excluding the laptop my investment has been £1160. As you can see the mics were my costliest item, but there are many other cheaper options, some with just as good quality (research needed here...)

Have fun :)

Thanks Denian. As you will see from my reply to Stephen Kenyon, your type of approach is long way away from my naive first thoughts on the matter! However, I will mull these thoughts over and I appreciate your suggestions.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:28 pm

leslietranter wrote:Thanks Stephen. I had originally been thinking that there might be solution which simply involved a microphone which would either sit on my camera's hotshoe or on a stand near the guitar from which there would be a lead which would run to the mic in socket on my camera. I am getting the feeling that this is not going to be satisfactory as nobody has yet proposed such a solution. Perhaps we could talk about the options at my next lesson.

Well if the camera offers a separate mic input then yes that's an option. It would be unlikely to be ideal to mount a mic on the camera because the best location for the cam and the mic are not usually the same. Do Canon offer a range of compatible mics? Otherwise yes, till next time when you've got over your flu!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Kurt Penner

Postby Kurt Penner » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:34 pm

My setup avoids the "mixing desk" but does need software. I use a smartphone as my video recorder, and a zoom h5 as my audio recorder (with a nice small diaphragm condenser mic attached). The two files get imported into Reaper DAW software, synced, edited, light effects added and then rendered into one video file. Works well enough for me.

I like the idea of avoiding the hassles of using a digital audio interface attached to a laptop. A field recorder like the zoom is like an "audio camera". For me this is a simpler method.

You can search youtube for my youtube channel under my name to see examples.

KP

leslietranter

Postby leslietranter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:My setup avoids the "mixing desk" but does need software. I use a smartphone as my video recorder, and a zoom h5 as my audio recorder (with a nice small diaphragm condenser mic attached). The two files get imported into Reaper DAW software, synced, edited, light effects added and then rendered into one video file. Works well enough for me.

I like the idea of avoiding the hassles of using a digital audio interface attached to a laptop. A field recorder like the zoom is like an "audio camera". For me this is a simpler method.

You can search youtube for my youtube channel under my name to see examples.

KP

Thanks Kurt for your input - more to digest!

Julian Ward

Postby Julian Ward » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:49 am

If you want easy and cheap the only option is a portable recorder as mentioned above. These are about £100 and have a pair of stereo mics built in. You can get a very acceptable sound. Zoom make them and tascam and others. All you do is import the audio file into your video (movie maker does this fine) and match up the waveforms. This of course opens a whole can of worms into the potential editing of both - but - the basics are simple. Below was recorded using a Tascam Dr22-wl. Costs is £100. I sometimes use this instead of getting all the gear out:

https://youtu.be/d9sf2IM-Ruo

If that doesn't work search dedicatoria julian ward

leslietranter

Postby leslietranter » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Julian Ward wrote:If you want easy and cheap the only option is a portable recorder as mentioned above. These are about £100 and have a pair of stereo mics built in. You can get a very acceptable sound. Zoom make them and tascam and others. All you do is import the audio file into your video (movie maker does this fine) and match up the waveforms. This of course opens a whole can of worms into the potential editing of both - but - the basics are simple. Below was recorded using a Tascam Dr22-wl. Costs is £100. I sometimes use this instead of getting all the gear out:

https://youtu.be/d9sf2IM-Ruo

If that doesn't work search dedicatoria julian ward

Thanks Julian, that is a nice sound which I would be very happy with. Also good to hear what a portable recorder is capable of. Regards.

guit-box

Postby guit-box » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:41 pm

recording audio into a camera can sometimes give poor results because the audio is compressed and low quality. The audio in most cameras is an afterthought. I tried to use an external mic with a gopro and the results were horrible even though I was using a high quality mic/preamp. One solution is a camera that has good audio like a Zoom Q8, otherwise, as others have suggested, you'll need to record audio separately and sync later.
It's all true, except for the stuff that's not.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”