Wrong mic!

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Mr Kite

Wrong mic!

Postby Mr Kite » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm playing classical at the moment but have previously dabbled in electric. At some point I acquired a Sennheiser e606, which is intended for close miking loud cabs. I still have my electric stuff but I live in an apartment now and the odd times I do fire the amp up the volume doesn't get past about 0.5.

Right now I am thinking it would be good to record my progress / lack of progress on classical, but I may well want to record electric at some point in the future. It seems you can get enough money for a second-hand e606 for it to be worth the trouble of putting it out on the bay, so I'm hoping someone can answer the following for me:

- is the e606 a terrible choice for recording classical, or just less-than-ideal?
- if the cab can't be at all loud, is it still the right mic for electric?
- is there a mic that is suitable for both, or do you realistically need two different ones anyway?

Thanks!

rojarosguitar

Re: Wrong mic!

Postby rojarosguitar » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:41 pm

The e505 being a dynamical mic is not the optimum choice for classical guitar for two reasons: it needs a lot of clean gain and it is not as detailed in sound as a condenser or a ribbon mic. You could greatly improve the first problem using an impedance matching preamp like Fethead by Tritone Audio or Cloudlifter by Cloud Microphones. This would also improve the detail reproduction a bit but not quite.

It all depends on your aims. If you are just trying to document your own playing, basically any mic is alright. For an artistic recording I'd pick up a small diaphragm condenser. Superlux S241 is quite good in the entry level but there are plenty of others sufficiently good sounding SDCs around. YOu dopn't need to spend a wealth on them if you are not going to record on highest level.

As to your last question: If you know what you are doing, almost any mic could be used for almost anything with more or less good results. There are so many other factors which could be much more decisive for the result, among which the right mic positioning is one crucial point.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 am

The e606 as mentioned above, is not going to be close to ideal, but would of course be a better record than nothing.

Many threads here cover this general area, so you might want to sift through those for general ideas and budgets etc.

This is not the place to discuss electric guitars of course, but I would add that if your amp cannot be turned above 0.5 it will never sound decent, and that nowadays really good simulation systems of various kinds are available that can be silent; from plugins like Amplitude to big bucks boxes like Kempers.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Mr Kite

Postby Mr Kite » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:40 am

Thanks a lot.

rojarosguitar wrote:Superlux S241 is quite good in the entry level but there are plenty of others sufficiently good sounding SDCs around. YOu dopn't need to spend a wealth on them if you are not going to record on highest level.

The S241 is not too pricey, about €85. What do you think would be more useful - an S241 plus the e606, two S241s, or an SDC costing around €170?

Stephen Kenyon wrote:This is not the place to discuss electric guitars of course, but I would add that if your amp cannot be turned above 0.5 it will never sound decent

Well, I was simplifying there a bit - I have power scaling so the power tubes can be at their limit, if I want, at a really low volume. It's not a complete answer because the speakers are still hardly moving, but better IMHO than the iOS and Roland sims I have tried.

Mr Kite

Postby Mr Kite » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Mr Kite wrote:The S241 is not too pricey, about €85. What do you think would be more useful - an S241 plus the e606, two S241s, or an SDC costing around €170?

Having looked into this a bit more I am realising that this question is probably unanswerable! It seems that double miking is too complicated to bother with for now and there aren't many single mics that would be equally good for both applications - the Voodoo ribbon mics maybe, but they are expensive and you have to contend with the figure of 8. I think what I'll do - as originally suggested - is to get an inexpensive SDC and leave the electric side out of it.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”