How do I amplify guitar to play with piano?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
twang

How do I amplify guitar to play with piano?

Postby twang » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:31 pm

My piano playing friend and I are working up some duets to perform at the end of the month. We've been able to practice ok without amplifying my guitar but that's not going to cut it for our performance. I have a couple of NT5 condenser mics and a small amp we can use-- but, how in the heck do we set things up so the guitar gets amplified without amplifying the piano?
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

CactusWren

Re: How do I amplify guitar to play with piano?

Postby CactusWren » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Omni mic position very close and eq out low and mid-low frequencies.

Salvador

Postby Salvador » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:57 am

Fishman pickup with built-in mic like what Cordoba guitars used.

Kevin L Benbow

Postby Kevin L Benbow » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 am

Kremona bridge pickup.
Note: This mind not for rent

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:10 am

Place the mic about 6 to 8 inches away from the guitar. At that range, the piano won't get picked up very much at all. I usually aim for either the treble side of the bridge wing for a brighter sound, or to aim around the 17th fret for a darker sound. You can adjust the tone controls on the amp to optimize the sound profile.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

twang

Postby twang » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks, we'll give those ideas a try.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

Mach13

Postby Mach13 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 pm

For what it's worth.... :| IK Multimedia have produced a piece of kit called iRig Acoustic Stage. It sits on the lower edge of the sound hole and connects to a pre-amp which fixes on your belt. The Pre-amp has EQ presets for classical guitar as well as steel strung options or just set your own. I haven't used it for stage work, but I have used the mic for basic recording when i'm singing and playing on my C40. Not too pricey (99Euros 105USD or £86) and will allow some freedom of movement whilst playing on stage. If you google it the product page has some recordings made using it

Be interested to know what you decide upon.. :bye:

PS If you have a soundcloud site i'd be intrested to hear what kind music you're making.. :casque:
Rgds Mark
A lefty and new to classical guitar
Yamaha C40 (converted to lefty)
Ortega RCE 131L
...erm and a few others :)
Sonar Platinum & Izotope (for Mixing & mastering)
Very much an amateur, but if you need help with mixing or mastering am happy to help

twang

Postby twang » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Mach13 wrote:For what it's worth.... :| IK Multimedia have produced a piece of kit called iRig Acoustic Stage. It sits on the lower edge of the sound hole and connects to a pre-amp which fixes on your belt. The Pre-amp has EQ presets for classical guitar as well as steel strung options or just set your own. I haven't used it for stage work, but I have used the mic for basic recording when i'm singing and playing on my C40. Not too pricey (99Euros 105USD or £86) and will allow some freedom of movement whilst playing on stage. If you google it the product page has some recordings made using it

Be interested to know what you decide upon.. :bye:

PS If you have a soundcloud site i'd be intrested to hear what kind music you're making.. :casque:
Rgds Mark

Looks like an interesting option. My mixer died so some kind of new purchase is on the table.

We're playing a couple of Duet's by Diabelli and a Waltz by Weber. Maybe if we can get it all put together I'll see if we can cobble up a recording.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”