Installing K&K Pure Classic transducers

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Paul Nicholas

Installing K&K Pure Classic transducers

Postby Paul Nicholas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:04 am

Good Evening!

I am considering installing K&K Pure Classic transducers so I can plug in for playing at different venues. While I want the additional volume and benefits from plugging in, I'd prefer it to be as passive as possible. Is there any reason I would need to install a pre-amp or any other equipment? or can I get away with just installing the small mics under the saddle?

I have near zero experience with acoustic-electrics, so any suggestions or advice would be fantastic. I've always thought that pick-ups, electrics, etc. compromised the purity of the instrument, but now in some instances, I see the need, so I'm torn... Any thoughts?

Thx!

Paul
2016 Cervantes Hauser Concert (SP/IN)
2016 Yamaha C40
2012 Yamaha Silent Classical Guitar (SLG130NW)
2003 Seagull Coastline S6 (Folk Cedar)

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Re: Installing K&K Pure Classic transducers

Postby James Lister » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:19 am

The K&K passive systems are one of the less obtrusive in terms of external appearance, but you do still need to drill a hole in the end of your guitar for the output jack - not for the faint-hearted, especially if the guitar is valuable. I've used them a few times on my guitars, and the results are pretty good, although of course you get no "on-board" control of volume, tone etc. The lack of pre-amp wasn't a problem in terms of driving my AER acoustic amplifier.

With the K&K transducers, you have the option of installing them permanently with gel CA glue, or just with double sided tape. You won't get as much output if you tape them, but it does give you the option of removing them at some point in the future (although you'll still have the hole in the end of your guitar).

James

P.S. if you use the gel superglue, be sure to use gloves when installing them - you really don't want to end up with your hand glue to the inside of your guitar.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”