Installing a transducer pickup?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
nalyom9

Installing a transducer pickup?

Post by nalyom9 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi all,
I received a gift of a Boston TD-EPJ transducer pickup.

According to the diagram it goes inside the guitar and is placed below (ie down a little from) the saddle but not directly underneath it, and in line the the low E string. Some info online suggests that this type of pick up is placed right under the saddle and in line with the high strings. Does anyone know where the "sweet spot generally is for this type of pickup?

I have to drill a hole for the socket where the guitars endpin is and when I stick on the transducer inside I can't really reposition it again.

Many Thanks

John

Bill B

Re: Installing a transducer pickup?

Post by Bill B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:32 am

Can you test it on the outside before installing? I think it will be pretty similar inside or outside, and that will give you a general idea.
Also I don't know this particular pickup and am not generally a fan of transducer pickups, but I do have some experience with them and think you're smart to look for the sweet spot as you put it. I think that it's generally safe to say if you put it by the bass side it will favor those strings and vice versa. Also if it's too far from the bridge output might suffer but too close and it gets a bad case of the dreaded piezo quack. Probably the only way to be sure you're getting the most out of it is to experiment.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

nalyom9

Re: Installing a transducer pickup?

Post by nalyom9 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Hey thanks I'll test it out in the outside first ;)

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”