Zoom XYH-6 vs. Oktava MK-012 (video)

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Tuomas Kourula

Zoom XYH-6 vs. Oktava MK-012 (video)

Post by Tuomas Kourula » Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi again,

I made some new videos, comparing Zoom ZYH-6 mics (the xy-setup included with the Zoom H6) with the very popular Oktava MK-012 condenser mics. One video is with cardioid Oktava capsules, the other with omni capsules, both in ORTF (which doesn't really suit omni mics, I know...) :lol:

Our middle guitar orchestra Guitar Heroes provided the music. I hope you enjoy it and also find the comparison interesting! It was for me. :bye:

Youtube

Youtube
of the guitar, by the guitar, for the guitar

el_guitarrero

Re: Zoom XYH-6 vs. Oktava MK-012 (video)

Post by el_guitarrero » Thu May 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Great, the omnis sound very good, not that "harsh" in comparison to the zoom mics.
👍🏻 For your orchestra/ scholars, and compositions.

Terry Simons

Post by Terry Simons » Thu May 04, 2017 4:02 pm

I agree with el_guitarrero, I like the sound of the Oktavas better.

Terry
Cordoba C12 Limited SP/MR
1970 Conrad Model 40155

Tuomas Kourula

Post by Tuomas Kourula » Fri May 05, 2017 5:59 pm

el_guitarrero wrote: ↑
Thu May 04, 2017 2:13 pm
Great, the omnis sound very good, not that "harsh" in comparison to the zoom mics.
Terry Simons wrote: ↑
Thu May 04, 2017 4:02 pm
I agree with el_guitarrero, I like the sound of the Oktavas better.
Thanks for the input! I agree with you guys, Oktava mics are better for me.

I just made another recording using my ribbon mics, and now I think I should do a comparison between the Oktavas and the ribbons! Here's the ribbon-only video:

Youtube

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm

wow, sounds great, too. I think the higher frequencies that are suppressed by the ribbon mics improve the overall sound. Bass fundament is nice, too. What kind of ribbons are used? Does the preamp of the Zoom provide enough power? Great, and thanks for the comparison. Nice guitar orchestra, too.

PS. it would be great to hear you play solo guitar in the same rooms / acoustic environment and equipment. (Let´s narrow it down to Omni vs. Ribbon) .... :merci:

Tuomas Kourula

Post by Tuomas Kourula » Sat May 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm
wow, sounds great, too. I think the higher frequencies that are suppressed by the ribbon mics improve the overall sound. Bass fundament is nice, too. What kind of ribbons are used? Does the preamp of the Zoom provide enough power? Great, and thanks for the comparison. Nice guitar orchestra, too.
The ribbons used here are sE Electronics Voodoo VR2 pair. They are active ribbons with a built-in preamp, so the Zoom H6 preamps are not struggling at all, in fact the gain is set at around six (of ten). Also, the VR ribbons don't have any high frequency roll-off like most ribbon mics do. Here's the frequency plot:

Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm
PS. it would be great to hear you play solo guitar in the same rooms / acoustic environment and equipment. (Let´s narrow it down to Omni vs. Ribbon) .... :merci:
Yes, I'm planning to do a new video, and I'd like to do another comparison. Ribbons and Oktavas... :lol:

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Fri May 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for the Info on those mics. They sound really great, they have a "big" sound, warm but not dull.

Looking forward to see/ hear your video / soundfiles.

Thanks .... :casque:

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”