Using hifi speakers driven from a mixer for live performance

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Using hifi speakers driven from a mixer for live performance

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 pm

ben etow wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:39 am
You might want to check Joie's system at the GFA as Gaelle Solal and Boris Gaquere will be using it for their show.
BTW, Thibault Cauvin is also using it.

Here a previous version of the system I used years ago within Locango:
http://locango.snack.ws/media.html
Thanks - I'm sure its a super system. I can't possibly go as far as that kind of gear though!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri May 12, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with using hi-fi speakers as a PA. But, it will likely present a number of problems. For one, hi-fi speakers aren't generally as large as PA speakers and are designed to be driven with a fairly clean signal with no distortion (ie. they will burn out easier if you clip them too much.. PA speakers are designed to take abuse). Secondly, Hi-fi speakers are designed to articulate sounds that tend to get "muddy" and clouded over on a set of PA speakers because of the relatively limited dynamic range of the cones and (likely) horns. It is this precision that will cause feedback problems. If you DO get feedback, it is likely going to cause big problems for your speakers because they aren't designed to take that kind of current as they heat up with that kind of constant beating. Speakers cool themselves down due to the changing nature of the music and the lack of constant current. Overdrive a sine wave into a hi-fi speaker and you are likely to burn it out pretty quick with any kind of amp that has any power.

So, I would avoid using them... I don't think they are any less efficient or anything. Good hi-fi speakers will produce just as much sound per watt. But, bounce around too many high range frequencies in a room coming from high frequency tweeters and you are likely going to have problems with any kind of sensitive mic.
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Sat May 13, 2017 1:45 am

I have done what I think you are saying, and it worked fine. I inherited a vintage Gromes amp and have used it with various hi-fi speakers for live performance, both solo and ensemble. But I wasn't looking for a lot of volume, just to reinforce whats there already. as for the cable, you can just buy a speaker cable from one of the big box stores and cut an end off if you need 1/4 to bare wire. Its like typical "electric guitar cable" except it is not shielded, you don't have the ground wrapped around the hot wire. if you can solder, you can just go to the hardware store and buy x feet of monster cable or whatever and solder a plug to one end. its pretty easy.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”