Zoom F8

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

Zoom F8

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am

Has anybody here experience with Zoom F8 recorder? After trying the Zoom TAC-2 thunderbolt interface I thought their preamps are not bad at all, so I'm curious how F8 performs...
It's very attractive having 8 hardwired mic inputs and a double SD Card slot for immediate backup.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Re: Zoom F8

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 am

Nobody?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm

FWIW, I like my Zoom H5 very much. Might try outboard preamp after I acquire a second SDC.

Do you need all of those inputs for one guitar? Or an ensemble?

KP

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:01 pm

I sometimes record small ensembles and 8 inputs come in handy ...
I'm enquiring because I want rather avoid external preamps; I have excellent ones but it complicates the setup and makes it much more bulky...
Thanks
Robert

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:30 am

There is a thread on Gearslutz comparing the Zoom F8 with Sound Devices. Within thatt there is a link to a recording of a choir performing with small ensemble a piece of Mozart. Despite the fact that the mix is not well balanced the recording is absolutely impressive. Also other sound samples comparing Zoom with SD don't let the F8 fall far behind the SD. In some samples I even prefer the F8.
Of course, even though f8 is only 1/5th of SD pricewise, it's still some money, so it would be nice to k ow how it performs on classical guitar...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:43 am

After a thorough study of what is available on internet about te different machines I decided to go with a second hand Tascam HS-P82 which has a reputation of a solidly performing and excellent sounding professional fireld recorder.

It will take some time until I'll get it and after I tested it I'll let you know what I think...

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”