Microphones

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
StGeorge

Microphones

Post by StGeorge » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:09 am

Has anyone had any experience with the DPA d:vote 4099G clip on microphone for amplification or recording. I really like the compactness of it, but I admit that I do not know much about microphones or recording equipment. :?
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Microphones

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:20 am

No specifically, but DPA have a great reputation for high quality.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:31 am

Great for live use and will work for recording, but if it's just recording you want you'd be better with a large diaphragm mic.

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks. At the moment, I would be primarily using it for ampliphication, and I'm assuming I could plug right into a PA or amplifier with it. I do not have any recording equipment or software at present, except for the Garage Band software that came with my new Apple computer. I haven't tried to use it yet because I don't have a mic. I think I would need a mic with a USB connection for that also. Not sure if that software is any good either. Anyone tried to use it before?

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm

StGeorge wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 am
Thanks. At the moment, I would be primarily using it for ampliphication, and I'm assuming I could plug right into a PA or amplifier with it. I do not have any recording equipment or software at present, except for the Garage Band software that came with my new Apple computer. I haven't tried to use it yet because I don't have a mic. I think I would need a mic with a USB connection for that also. Not sure if that software is any good either. Anyone tried to use it before?
You could record with the DPA mic on your apple computer using GarageBand (it's very good) you would need an external preamp like focusrite etc

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm
StGeorge wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 am
You could record with the DPA mic on your apple computer using GarageBand (it's very good) you would need an external preamp like focusrite etc
Yes, loads of other threads on this well worth reading through. So much depends on where you want to end up, budget etc.
Small thing - Gary mentioned large diaphragm mics, yes many do, though many prefer small diaphragm inc DPA who make among the best in that area. In general small gives a fairer sound, and large are tuned for vocals, but much variability exists.
Re preamps, if you wanted to take this seriously one might suggest going for a 'normal' mic and a preamp because this will take your further up the quality gradient than a USB mic. I'd suggest a stereo preamp so you have that flexibility in future, and would look at Focusrite, Audient and others, avoiding things you don't need. Try to get the best you can justify so it won't need upgrading so soon!
Garageband is entirely fine, as digital audio is digital audio and from that point of view the basic recording you make is pretty much as good as any fancy paid-for software, such as Logic, on whose underpinnings Garageband is based. Its later in the production process that other options win out.
Louis Panormo (1838)

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for the advice. In the end, I would perhaps like to record and burn a CD or two for the family, or maybe upload a sound track to this site. I'm not sure I would ever get to the level that you are at Stephen with videos uploaded to YouTube (by the way, I really enjoyed your interpretation of Capricho Arabe). I think I would like to keep the expense to about $1,000 also.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:46 pm

StGeorge wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:29 pm
Thanks for the advice. In the end, I would perhaps like to record and burn a CD or two for the family, or maybe upload a sound track to this site. I'm not sure I would ever get to the level that you are at Stephen with videos uploaded to YouTube (by the way, I really enjoyed your interpretation of Capricho Arabe). I think I would like to keep the expense to about $1,000 also.
Well first thing is to take your time, read lots of threads in the recording section, figure out any further issues such as sound of room, background noise etc. But basically, get a nice mic (or two), a mic stand, a preamp, and get practising!
Re video, and thanks for the kind words 8) but don't write it off as an idea, as with even a phone let alone a camera you can get nice results and esp for relatives at a distance, it would lend a nice personal touch. Plus, for your own playing, you may find that seeing your technique in action may lead to some useful insights.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Guitar Slim Jr.

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:10 pm

A lot of good info here about mics and preamps and interfaces etc.

In general, a conventional microphone is the preferred method for capturing a "natural" sounding acoustic-guitar sound.

But you can certainly use a pickup or a clip on also. I record with my plug-in classical all the time -- but just for demos or to try out a new idea. When it comes time for serious acoustic recording, I always use the mics and the preamps (and a better guitar).

Also, I've got to say that little clip on is an expensive piece of kit. Those kinds of systems are primarily designed for live performance. If your main goal is recording, you'd be better off investing in a condenser mic and an appropriate interface. You could get an AKG or Rode mic and a basic 2-channel Presonus interface for a little more than half of what the clip-on mic costs. Personally, I wouldn't invest in a pickup system like that unless I were an active professional perfomer.

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Anyone have any comments or opinions about iRig Acoustic or IRig Acoustic Stage? :?

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:43 am

StGeorge wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 pm
Anyone have any comments or opinions about iRig Acoustic or IRig Acoustic Stage? :?
I had an iRig Acoustic Stage, it is not bad for the money, but it feels kinda "cheap" and doesnt sound nearly as real and 3d as the DPA which I also have, I got the iRig just to try it and have an alternative for my DPA when there is no +48v available but I sent it back after one week, I couldn't trust it to gig with it.

I got a Headway EDB-2 preamp for the DPA instead and with its phantom, EQ, Notch filter and the option to run on batteries it is very convenient.

If you don't want to spend the money on the DPA (depending on how much you need it, I have concerts playing that I need to amplify all the time), I would advise you to also take a look at the Bartlett mics.

Steven Morgan

Post by Steven Morgan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 am

I'd suggest a couple good AKG condenser mics and a quality 2 channel preamp.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Plus one for Mic and interface. A USB Mic has a built in interface but if you go that route you are stucknusing the same Mic and interface until you upgrade both. By getting a seperate mic and interface, you have the option of using other mics as well as using the mic with analog equipment.

Garage band is a good basic daw and any projects you start in garage band can be opened in. Logic pro x if you later decide to go with a more advanced daw.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

konstantine

Post by konstantine » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:24 am

For those who are interested to listen to the 4099 I just uploaded a video demo/review of the DPA:

Youtube

Konstantine

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:16 pm

konstantine wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:24 am
For those who are interested to listen to the 4099 I just uploaded a video demo/review of the DPA:

Konstantine
Thanks Konstantine. That was a very helpful review (and some very nice playing on display too :D ).

I do have one question. From your experience, how much of a risk is there of the microphone causing damage to the guitar? I'm especially interested in how this might affect less durable finishes like french polish?

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”