Auto playback for practicing

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
jnbrown

Auto playback for practicing

Post by jnbrown » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:50 pm

I have a Tascam DR-05 I bought primarily for recording my practice to see how I sound and what needs improvement.
Well I can say a lot needs improvement!
I have not done this enough because fiddling with the buttons on the DR-05 for each recording / playback is tedious.
What be ideal is something would record when I start playing, stop recording after there is no sound for time period and then automatically play it back. So no button pressing. I checked the Tascam manual and it has auto start recording but thats it.

Thanks for any ideas.

Evocacion

Re: Auto playback for practicing

Post by Evocacion » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:06 pm

You need a friend to sit with you and operate the Tascam...

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Some of these recorders have a remote control type functionality, to avoid recording the sound of pressing the buttons, might be useful in this case. I don't think you can get what you are after.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:56 pm

I've been there a couple of times - you tell yourself it would be a good idea to record your practice more systematically, get hold of some gear, set it up, use it for a day or so... then find you really can't be bothered with it. You then change your set up for something simpler, but the same thing happens. If you're anything like me, moving to an automatic setup wouldn't really help.

That said, you could use a looper pedal - I don't know whether you'd find one that detects the end of the loop automatically (how would it know there was no more coming, unless it waited so long that it would have been easier to press a footswitch) but it would be less fiddly in use. OTOH it would be more complicated to set up.

I think it's really a question of self-discipline though, so with that in mind I am going to go and record myself...

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:51 pm

I found a pretty good solution in Music Memos on my Iphone. It does automatically start and stop. Playback is very easy by tapping the play button and it is very easy to delete the track afterwards. Not totally automatic but good enough. Of course the sound with the Iphone mic isn't that good bout ok for practicing. I might look for a microphone that attaches directly to the Iphone like Rode IXY or Zoom IQ series. I will probably sell the Tascam since its just too hard to deal with.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”