Baggs Lyric Classical pickup results

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Brian M

Baggs Lyric Classical pickup results

Post by Brian M » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 pm

After a couple of months' experience with the Baggs Lyric Classical pickup installed in my Cordoba C5, I've finally figured out how to get it to sound right -- and now, it's sounding *very* right, just what I had hoped for, about as good as an internal pickup could be expected to sound.

Of course, "sounding good" is relative. Sounding good to play classical music in a concert hall or on a recording? No way. But sounding good to accompany myself on "House at Pooh Corner"? Yes, it's all that.

The trick, I've discovered, is to *NOT* turn the volume control all the way up. Volume all the way up produces a raspy, maybe "clipped" sound, which disappointed the heck out of me when I first had the pickup

Having the volume control about halfway, and in some cases using some sort of pre-amp (depending on what system I'm plugging into) gives a very acceptable, fairly natural sound perfectly suitable for pop music or for players of my caliber.

Going directly from the guitar into a Fishman Loudbox Mini gives very good results, provided you're at no more than half volume at the guitar. Directly into a Mackie mixer likewise very good results. Directly into the house Fender powered mixer at my open mic gives either not enough horsepower, or the raspies.

If you peruse some of the demo videos on the web, you will hear in some of them the raspiness I'm talking about, while in other videos it sounds fine. The difference appears to be the volume.

fast eddie

Re: Baggs Lyric Classical pickup results

Post by fast eddie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:31 am

I have been obsessed for awhile with amplifying myself and I'm not sure why. My guitar abilities are not very good and my hearing is terrible. But the obsession to amplify continues. After a 40 year hiatus of guitar playing, I began again (in retirement) about 6 months ago at the age of 77. I have improved some but am putting about 2-3 hrs/day into trying to get better. I can now play 3 pieces from memory which is a big improvement because at first I had trouble playing the C scale.

Anyway I just bought a piezo pickup (Kremona NT-1) and put it on one of my guitars (my 1974 Hernandis). The amp I used is a (very) small Fender 15 Watt and my practice room is really small. I play for me only and will never play for a group unless a miracle happens and I improve a lot. So this amplification scheme works fine for me. The next part of my experiment was to add a microphone (Sure SM58) to input 2. Both the mic and the piezo pickup together sounds really better than I ever hoped for.

I may not be able to play that great (yet) but I am having too much fun!
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:13 am

fast eddie wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:31 am

I may not be able to play that great (yet) but I am having too much fun!
:bravo:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:53 am

Brian M wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 pm
The trick, I've discovered, is to *NOT* turn the volume control all the way up. Volume all the way up produces a raspy, maybe "clipped" sound, which disappointed the heck out of me when I first had the pickup
You'll find that this is the case with most if not all active pick ups and indeed all amplification in your signal chain - SNR ratio gets worse the harder you drive them. The same applies to your amp, volume on full on a small amp will not sound as good as a much more powerful amp with volume at half way, for example (all other things being equal). So headroom is certainly key to getting a decent sound.

Having said all that that, IMO the Lyric is overpriced and the hype boasts sound quality that it just doesn't deliver. I really wish it was better, such an easy installation.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”