Two Digital Recorder Comparison

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

Two Digital Recorder Comparison

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 am

Here I'm comparing two different recorders, both Tascam.

Recorded with identical (as far as it goes) microphones positioned as close as possible and brought to the same volume without no further processing.

Tell me what you think!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1hlwylfl5sly ... 1pdta?dl=0

thanks!
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

bluetoby

Re: Two Digital Recorder Comparison

Post by bluetoby » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:06 am

I prefer recording 2 it to me sounds brighter clearer.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks! Im curious what otherfellow guitarists think...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:42 am

Hate to be contrary but I prefer the first one - it sounded more natural to me. It's hard to put into words but the second one sounded to me as though it had been processed in some way, even though it hadn't.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Interesting! Looking forward for more comments...

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Of the two, I like Number Two better, it sounds less harsh. Both seem too bright and close-mic'd however. What distance from the guitar did you use?
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm

It was less than an arms' length from my body to the mics. It's a bit close, but the surroundingis a bit noisy so I didn't want too much of that... Thanks.

Looking forward for more comments...

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi rojaros guitar,

both sound good recorders to me, I think they fairly represent the recorded sound, whether more 'naily' or warmer ( are you suddenly switching to apoyando or going nearer the hole for a few seconds?), and it all sounds pretty similar as you'd expect given that you use the same microphone (what microphone is it by the way?). I guess the only difference could be in the impedance matching with the microphone, and any 'character' that the recorder's preamp might add, effects that seem to be rather subtle for me in this case (though I am listening through computer speakers!).
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Going by what I would likely listen longer to if given the choice, I would pick no 2 in this case. Seems somewhat deeper and warmer with still enough "zing" in the treble.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:11 am

I preferred #1 for its more prominent bass frequencies and warmth. #2 seemed harsher to me and uninspiring. Both had the quality of being too close to the mic. My 2 cents.

KP

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks for the comments so far...
The differences are indded not very big here.
The microphones are a pair of Jim Williams moded (by our forum member Gabasa) AKG C460B with cardioid capsulas.

Of course the results you get depend very much of the loudspeakers/headphones you use. Quite likely computer speakers do not fully represent these differences. As I wrote, yes, the guitar was a bit to close to the mics.

So for now we have 3:2 for #2 ...

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 pm

On one listen each, number 2 immediately more pleasant listening.

Well done for keeping it to 30 secs ...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

el_guitarrero

Post by el_guitarrero » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm

2 is better, but if i may give a simple advice, a little bit longer nails and finger attack from the left side of the finger would make both recordings a little bit more pleasant, since you have a top guitar and some of the best microphones....
No offense - just an advice. I think this could make more of a difference than the preamps comparison.... Thanks for the comparison !

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Ok I listened again with headphones and maybe I marginally prefer 2. Or maybe I'm succumbing to group think :P.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 pm

That leaves me as the only person who preferred 1, so I listened again too... and I still prefer 1! I am only listening through computer speakers but I am still hearing an artificial or strained quality in 2 that I don't hear in 1.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”