Two Digital Recorder Comparison

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
martinardo

Re: Two Digital Recorder Comparison

Post by martinardo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:50 pm

I prefer 1. Even though the recording distance is much the same, with 1, I hear more intimacy and clarity.

Number 2 is fine but sounds a little bit more "distant". Either version: such a great sound from the player

and instrument, particularly in the Bass notes.
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 am

el_guitarrero wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 pm
2 is better, but if i may give a simple advice, a little bit longer nails and finger attack from the left side of the finger would make both recordings a little bit more pleasant, since you have a top guitar and some of the best microphones....
No offense - just an advice. I think this could make more of a difference than the preamps comparison.... Thanks for the comparison !
Many thanks for the advice. My nails tend to be btittle and tobreak easily, so I must keep them fairly short. I'm quite aware that my tone production is a far cry from professional; unfortunately I don't have the discipline to work specifically on that in the little time that I have for music making. I will try the left side aspect of your advice, though.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:38 am

I prefer no. 2. It just has a richer tone to me. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks... still waiting for more comments before I disclose the 'secret'
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:20 am

Number 2. Brighter and more clear than number 1, I think... :)
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/51, Spr, RW B&S, Tokio, JPN (under repair)
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40
1987 - Aria A558, 650/51, Ced, lam RW B&S, Nagoya, JPN
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CAN Ced, MDG RW B&S, Banyoles, ESP

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 am

Thanks!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:04 am

Maybe some more ears will chime in?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:36 am

OK, nothing more is happening, so here's what it was:

#1: Fully Busman moded Tascam DR-680 semi pro recorder (4 mic pres + 2 lin ins + 2 digital inputs) making for max. 8 simultaneously recordable tracks (+ a stereo mix if recording up to 48kHz). It costs 900$ plus shipping. According to various recording forums it's audibly more transparent than the out of the box version.

#2: Tascam HS-P82, a fully professional 'on location' 8-track recorder (analog or digital) recorded, equipped with 8 analog mic pres and able of recording 8 channels 96khz/24bit or 4 channels 192kHz/24 recording with two CF-Card slots allowing for a mirroring option as backup during critical recording sessions. It has 8 mic preamps and thus is capable to record either full orchestra with stereo main mic plus some spots or a surround mic.
It's price dropped from over 5000$ when introduced to around 2000$ for which it is a steal. If you want to produce huge ambitious large ensemble projects you can stack up 10 recorders and synchronize them :lol: .

My assessment is that the gap between the both purely sound-wise is not very big, though I definitely prefer the preamps of the #2: they have a better mid range and transparency and less harshness in my ear (though not a huge difference); they provide ways more clean gain (clearly usable with ribbon mics) and they are quieter (less noisy). This is the first recorder I could imagine to work without external preamps.

Many thanks for your contributions.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Most interesting. I quite enjoy these blind taste tests. I think they reveal the limits of our objectivity. Please continue them.

Kp

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 am

Many thanks. I'll certainly do, as they are very educating for myself and I often have to revise my prejudices.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:37 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:36 am
OK, nothing more is happening, so here's what it was:

#1: Fully Busman moded Tascam DR-680

#2: Tascam HS-P82,

My assessment is that the gap between the both purely sound-wise is not very big, though I definitely prefer the preamps of the #2: they have a better mid range and transparency and less harshness in my ear (though not a huge difference); they provide ways more clean gain (clearly usable with ribbon mics) and they are quieter (less noisy). This is the first recorder I could imagine to work without external preamps.

Many thanks for your contributions.
Interesting stuff rojarosguitar, even for those of us who are hobbyists and more in the 'DR-40 with built in mics' stage of recording.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 am

sxedio wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:37 am

Interesting stuff rojarosguitar, even for those of us who are hobbyists and more in the 'DR-40 with built in mics' stage of recording.

... which BTW is not bad at all. And one step up is just to use the DR-40 with a pair of decent SDC and you will already have a combo that is just fine.

If I listen to commercial recordings, some of them, though made with fully professional (and accordingly expensive) equipment sound much worse from what you can get from your friendly DR-40 out of the box :D

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”