Guitar Video Editing Software -- is Filmora any good?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Guitar Slim Jr.

Guitar Video Editing Software -- is Filmora any good?

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:12 pm

I'm a teacher and interested in making guitar videos -- especially educational videos. I've shot a few things at home just using an Ipod or a little digital camera, and now I am looking for software to help me edit and package what I've shot.

One of the things I want to be able to do is PIP and overlay effects: to get close-ups of the hands, show excerpts from scores and charts, etc. Pricey high-end programs like Sony Vegas are not in the frame at the moment, but I found a much more modest app that seems to do the job pretty well. It's called Wondershare Filmora, and I've spent a couple days messing with the trial version.

It's certainly easy to use. I know nothing about video editing, yet I was able to figure out how to use it -- including PIP -- in a matter of minutes, with just a few peeks at the help files. A 12-month license costs about the same as a new video game -- $40 US.

It's gotten good reviews elsewhere, I'm wondering if anyone here has used it, and what your opinion is?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Guitar Video Editing Software -- is Filmora any good?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 pm

If you like what it does and find it easy, and it makes real HD, what's not to like? A while ago I was rooting around looking for cheap alternatives to the free iMovie, and looked briefly at various including I think Filmora. In the end iMovie is good enough for my present purposes (Mac only of course).
Btw what's PIP?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

fraim

Post by fraim » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Picture in Picture

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:34 am

I like Adobe Premiere but the licensing costs are a bit pricey for me, so I settled on Adobe Premiere Elements 15. The download from Amazon was $59 (sale) and it works well on my Mac Mini i7. I typically use two, sometimes three, camera feeds and outboard audio and am able to easily blend multiple DSLRs and sync outboard audio from my Tascam audio recorder. The fades/transitions and text look good and are easy to use. Elements has PIP and green screen detection but I've not tried either feature. Elements is not as easy as iMovie to use but a lot more powerful. I've just started playing with Final Cut Pro but find the learning curve a bit steep compared to iMovie, albeit the program appearance is similar.
I play a Cordoba Mini so I look taller on stage!

Guitar Slim Jr.

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:48 am

Thanks for the responses. Stephen, you made up my mind. It does what I want and I already kind of know how to use it.

Peter, sounds like you're a way more advanced user than I am. I'm not planning on working with multiple cameras any time soon, that's for sure. But I will need to use two or more audio sources at the same time to pull off some of the videos I have in mind. But I'm a bit more experienced working with audio.

My MO up to now has been to record audio into my DAW (Pro Tools), and record video directly to the camera or device. Then I export the video, load it into Pro Tools, and sync it with the audio. This way I have access to all of Pro Tools' audio mixing and processing tools.

What I need is a simple-to-use editor for "post" recording. I want it to be able to do a few simple things like cut and trim clips, splice them together, create titles and captions, that kind of thing. That, and the overlays and PIP.

I'm going to give Filmora a shot. Hopefully, I'll be able to give everyone a better review soon -- and a sample of one of my videos...

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:54 am

Guitar Slim Jr. wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:48 am
I'm going to give Filmora a shot. Hopefully, I'll be able to give everyone a better review soon -- and a sample of one of my videos...
Will be very interested to see.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Guitar Slim Jr.

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:31 am

Over the weekend I re-edited my first two video experiments with Wondershare, and created and edited a new one. I upped the new one here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114707&p=1220849#top

As for Wondershare, well you can see what kind of job it did. Keep in mind, I'm a complete noob, never used anything but Windows Movie Maker and some DVD authoring software. Creating these videos -- with cuts, zooms, transitions and titles -- was ridiculously easy. It helps that I'm quite familiar with recording and editing audio. This program works a lot like a DAW, and anyone familiar with audio recording software should find it quite intuitive.

I wouldn't call the exporting fast, but no slower than it ought to be.

Enthusiastic thumbs up, well worth the $40.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”