Lightweight mic / preamp

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Rasputin

Lightweight mic / preamp

Post by Rasputin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:13 pm

I asked before about Skype lessons and microphones - I did some experimenting and I think a half-decent mic does make a big difference, even over Skype. The thing is that I am going to be travelling around a lot and I am right up against my baggage allowance already. I have a Focusrite iTrack solo and a Superlux S241 but that's quite a bit of extra weight, especially with the metal clamp I have been using. Is there a lightweight solution - maybe a USB mic - that will still deliver a marked improvement over a (good) internal mic?

Rasputin

Re: Lightweight mic / preamp

Post by Rasputin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:59 pm

It looks like it would be either a clip-on guitar mic or a lavalier - but I'm wondering whether the clip-on would pick up my voice OK, and whether the lavalier be any better for the guitar than the internal mic.

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Assuming you Skype over an IOS device, what about the Rode i-XY lightning?
Maybe to be used with a lightning extension cable (6$ on Amazon). An iPad and this stuff would be extremely light and compact.

If you use a laptop, a Rode NT-USB works well..

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks for the reply Marco.

I would normally use my laptop and that way I can get a wired connection, which may mean that Skype runs in a higher bandwidth mode (?)

The USB mic doesn't cut the weight down enough to be worthwhile. I found a Rode Smartlav+ which weighs nothing - it is advertised for iOS but presumably works with laptops too. Also, it seems that "with the smartlav+ the user simply mounts the microphone on the talent, connects it to a smartphone or tablet headset jack and records via the rode rec app for ios, or any other audio app of their choice". So if I buy that one, I get to be "the talent". Sold... or nearly - I'm just not sure whether it would be noticeably better than the internal mic / mic array.

Marco32

Post by Marco32 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 pm

It should be definitely a noticable improvement.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”