GarageBand and audio interface inputs

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Jedaks

GarageBand and audio interface inputs

Post by Jedaks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:59 am

Hello all,
A mate and I would like to do some simultaneous multitrack recording. Since we both have Apple devices it seems that GarageBand would be the DAW to use (at least to begin with).

My question is, will GarageBand automatically sense the number of inputs in the audio interface and generate the tracks, or can it be done manually?

Or, am I kidding myself and GarageBand cannot record simultaneous multi-tracks?

My wife has claimed my MacBook so we would be using iPad iOS mostly.

Thanks
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: GarageBand and audio interface inputs

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:06 am

Garageband will do you fine, the digital recording will easily as good as you could require.
As I have Logic I don't use Garageband very often, but when I have it has been very easy to set up the number of tracks required. I'd suggest watching a few tutorial videos.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 pm

I seem to remember that it can handle up to 8 simultaneous tracks. What is your approach? Sit together in a room and play duets and record with more than 2 microphones? Wouldn't you get a more natural sound with stereo recording? Or are you recording your part and then sending to your friend to overdub, in which case again you only need stereo recording.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:11 pm

I use GarageBand with a Scarlett 2i2 interface. I can run two analog mikes into 2 tracks at the same time. If I recall correctly, before I got the interface, I could not run a USB mike plus the onboard or separate USB webcam mike as separate inputs into different simultaneous tracks, but I could combine them into one input if I wanted to. I experimented with that but it didn't make cheap mikes sound not-cheap, so I upgraded.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:28 am

Depending on your interface, the current version of Garageband for iOS lets you record up to 32 tracks simultaneously.

I think Garage Band is actually a good DAW that lets you get results quickly. It can't be beat for the "price".

Jedaks

Post by Jedaks » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks for the replies, it has helped a lot.

As well as classical music, we also play mainstream stuff. I wanted a way to simultaneously record two amplifiers and two vocal microphones but I just didn't know if GarageBand was capable of that. Now I know. Cheers
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”