UST hurting acoustic properties?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Rau Le Creuset

UST hurting acoustic properties?

Post by Rau Le Creuset » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Last week I went to a downtown guitar shop simply because I had time to kill and because I wanted to try out the new La Patrie guitars and see their new look up close. There I found a La Patrie Collection Q1. This is their top model for a more traditional classic style, boasting all solid wood and a traditional design except that this particular guitar came equipped with the Q1T pre-amp and undersaddle piezo pickup. The other was either an Etude, same specs but with laminate sides, or a presentation same specs minus the electronic system and gloss finish. In any case I played one and then the other and found that the more expensive Collection model was much quieter, with much less bass. It had no clear advantage. It made a lot less sound than the other two that were definitely below its paygrade, even though on paper it should be better. Since it uses better tonewoods than the others, the odd spec to focus on seems to me to be the USD it has. Could this be the cause of the lifeless sound? Or could this just be a guitar made on a monday? I'd love to hear any thoughts on this. Sometimes i think that an undersaddle piezo mught be noce to add to some of my guitars, but if it does this to the acoustic sound it doesn't seem worth it in any way.

Thanks!
La Patrie "Motif"
Martin 000-15m
Seagull Excursion Grand

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: UST hurting acoustic properties?

Post by simonm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:13 pm

UST?
USD?

Not sure what these stand for? Are you talking about pick-ups?

Rau Le Creuset

Re: UST hurting acoustic properties?

Post by Rau Le Creuset » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:30 pm

USD - a typo, I didn't proof read good enough
UST - Under Saddle Transducer, the piezo pickup that sits in the bridge slot under the saddle.
La Patrie "Motif"
Martin 000-15m
Seagull Excursion Grand

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”