Cordoba GK Pro vs Studio, plugged in sound

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Blondie

Cordoba GK Pro vs Studio, plugged in sound

Post by Blondie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm

As the title suggest, I'd like to hear from anyone who has played both the GK Pro and GK Studio, through the same Amp/PA system, and what you can say about the difference in sound.

The pick up system on the GK Pro is about 10 times the price of the system in the Studio, obviously the pro is all solid wood and is a better quality build, but its the difference in the 'plugged in' sound I'm interested in. I can't find a direct recorded comparison, unfortunately.

MessyTendon

Re: Cordoba GK Pro vs Studio, plugged in sound

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 am

Generally speaking I don't think there would be an astounding difference. Cheap OEM electronics are slapped in one way or the other. I mean about 20 years ago it was a big deal to have a three band eq and pickup...Now there are tons of knock offs that perform equally bad.

For what it's worth I think it's better to setup a transducer pickup system that is carefully placed to get the most dynamics. A single jack on the end of the guitar is far better than dealing with batteries. Coupled to a preamp/amp, the sound can be cleaner and more focused.

Most those 9 volt preamps, pretty much are wimpy for dynamics...it's like all or nothing. Factor in your likely going to run it into a junky pa system or noisy mixing board amp...The Cordoba lineage gets the best performance at the lower end of the spectrum.

Consider both Cordoba guitars to be comparable in electronics, since they are based on very similar circuits. The increase premium in price comes with licensing names such as Fishman or B-Band...whatever they call it, it's just a mass produced circuit in some factory.

For what it's worth you could fashion a single piezo in your bridge slot and wire to a jack/strap button on any modestly priced guitar. Then run it into a good preamp.

It's not as simple as brand A is better than brand B...

If you already purchased the lower end model Cordoba you'll be just fine. As you go up in price with Cordoba products, the diminishing curve sets in real fast.

From a broad based generalization I have no problem saying most all OEM 9 volt preamps are garbage.

An independent preamp circuit, coupled to a modestly sized solid state amp with a good speaker is going to be light years better. Sadly not many are willing to take the audiophile approach.

PeteJ

Re: Cordoba GK Pro vs Studio, plugged in sound

Post by PeteJ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Hmm. That makes sense. I hadn't thought much about the pre-amp, Are all the manufacturers using onboard battery pre-amps?

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”