Portable video recording

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
asmodeus
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 pm
Location: Stuttgart area, Germany

Portable video recording

Post by asmodeus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:41 am

Hi folks,

I've been thinking about a portable video recording setup that uses an iPhone as the camera. I'm not looking for studio quality or anything like that. Mostly to record myself when practising or playing at home. An improvement over the built in Mic is certainly welcome.

Knowing myself, the setup I'm looking for has to be dead simple to use. If it's to cumbersome I'll just not use it.

My question is two-fold:

1. There are a few mics that connect directly to the iPhone via Lightning port. I'm not sure if that's a good setup, as the optimal position for camera and mic is usually in different spots. There are a lightning extension cables which would allow the mic to be positioned somewhere else, but then you would need a tripod or something to put it on? Can anyone share experience with such products?

The other alternative would be to record with an external audio recorder (Zoom, TamRac, ...) so there would be a video track on the iPhone and an additional audio track on this device. Is there any solution that allows to combine the two using an iPhone?

2. Assuming the Mic is somehow connected to the iPhone, what kind of recording software do you use? I've been using the Camera App, but with an external mic I'm not sure whether it will allow me to switch mics? Getting the mic track over the video should be really simple, I'd like to avoid adding external audio tracks to the video after importing it on the Mac.

Thoughts? Comments? Would love to learn about your experience with portable video recording!

Smith
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 am

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Smith » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 pm

I started with an iPhone 5 with an Apogee MiC plugged into the phone with a lightning connector. I attached the phone to a mic stand with a Joby Gorilla grip. I pointed it straight ahead at my reflection in my practise mirror and recorded in iMovie.
This works well because I can operate the controls without getting up from my chair.

The big problem is you can’t plug in the mic and the charger at the same time. The mic is powered by the phone and the phone battery quickly drains.

I now use a cheap Canon camcorder with a remote mic.

Edit: I did use the extension cable on the lightning port. I set the mic on the desk and the sound is ok for recording practise sessions.

I would suggest looking at various Zoom recorders. Get started on the cheap—upgrade
later when your preferences are more clearly evident.

asmodeus
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 pm
Location: Stuttgart area, Germany

Re: Portable video recording

Post by asmodeus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Smith wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 pm
The big problem is you can’t plug in the mic and the charger at the same time. The mic is powered by the phone and the phone battery quickly drains.
That's an excellent point, I forgot about that! Seems there are adapter that might help, but that's one more thing to lug around. Were you satisfied with the sound quality of the Apogee mic?

The challenge I see with the Zoom devices is that I've got to start recording on two devices and merge audio and video later on.

Smith
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 am

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Smith » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 pm

The Apogee MiC (or practically any mic, really) is a 100 times better than the built-in mic.

I don’t know how an adapter could work because there is only one port. You would need a splitter of some kind, which to me is too much tech for that approach.

BUT: Now that I write this I realize my iPad would work because it has much more battery power.
I was really pleased with the results but I feel a need to upgrade. It may be possible to separate the audio in Logic but I a) haven’t got around to it, or b) couldn’t be bothered.

User avatar
Paul Janssen
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:05 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:11 am

I own and use a Rode iXY-L (Lightning connector version). I find it really handy and it's small enough to chuck in my gig bag (in fact I used it last week to record my son's concert band rehearsal).

If you're interested, I recorded a guitar track using this mic a couple of years ago when I first got the mic: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=98669&p=1049831&hilit=ixy#p1049831

I can't comment on using it with an extension cable. However, I use something called an iKlip to hold the phone. The iKlip can be mounted on any stand (music stand, mic stand - basically anything with a pole) and holds the phone securely in place.

asmodeus
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 pm
Location: Stuttgart area, Germany

Re: Portable video recording

Post by asmodeus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:57 am

Paul Janssen wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:11 am
I own and use a Rode iXY-L (Lightning connector version). I find it really handy and it's small enough to chuck in my gig bag (in fact I used it last week to record my son's concert band rehearsal).

If you're interested, I recorded a guitar track using this mic a couple of years ago when I first got the mic: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=98669&p=1049831&hilit=ixy#p1049831

I can't comment on using it with an extension cable. However, I use something called an iKlip to hold the phone. The iKlip can be mounted on any stand (music stand, mic stand - basically anything with a pole) and holds the phone securely in place.
Thanks Paul, beautiful playing and the recording sounds great - certainly in another league than the built-in mic :)
Have you tried using the Rode to record video? Does it "just work" with the Camera app?

The iKlip is also a neat idea, can you comment on the size? Will it fit in the small compartment of a guitar case?

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 2112
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 am

asmodeus wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 pm
The challenge I see with the Zoom devices is that I've got to start recording on two devices and merge audio and video later on.
I'm wondering here, firstly do you really need the video? If you are interested in monitoring progress, decent audio from a hand-held might be all you need and certainly takes less storage. There's also the thing that being forced to use just your ears can make you more objective.
If you really feel the need for picture, to check technique etc the simplest in the end might be to bite the bullet and sync audio and video, which is really quick and easy once you've practised it in iMovie.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 1034
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 am

Audio and video merge is very easy if you have a sequencer like Cubase. I do it all the time. Plus you can add some digital reverb.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

asmodeus
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 pm
Location: Stuttgart area, Germany

Re: Portable video recording

Post by asmodeus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:38 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 am
asmodeus wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 pm
The challenge I see with the Zoom devices is that I've got to start recording on two devices and merge audio and video later on.
I'm wondering here, firstly do you really need the video? If you are interested in monitoring progress, decent audio from a hand-held might be all you need and certainly takes less storage. There's also the thing that being forced to use just your ears can make you more objective.
If you really feel the need for picture, to check technique etc the simplest in the end might be to bite the bullet and sync audio and video, which is really quick and easy once you've practised it in iMovie.
Good question. I'm in the process of switching right-hand technique and the video helps me spot irregularities/glitches and monitor progress.

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 2112
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:40 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 am
Audio and video merge is very easy if you have a sequencer like Cubase. I do it all the time. Plus you can add some digital reverb.
Is it easier to sync audio in a video editor or import video to an audio editor? Never occurred to me to try that!
The OP has a Mac so has Garageband and iMovie at minimum.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 2112
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:45 am

asmodeus wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:38 am
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 am
asmodeus wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 pm
The challenge I see with the Zoom devices is that I've got to start recording on two devices and merge audio and video later on.
I'm wondering here, firstly do you really need the video? ...
Good question. I'm in the process of switching right-hand technique and the video helps me spot irregularities/glitches and monitor progress.
So you have very good reason to want picture: for that purpose one might make do with the built-in. Except you want good sound so you can correlate position and tone...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 1034
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:40 am
Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 am
Audio and video merge is very easy if you have a sequencer like Cubase. I do it all the time. Plus you can add some digital reverb.
Is it easier to sync audio in a video editor or import video to an audio editor? Never occurred to me to try that!
The OP has a Mac so has Garageband and iMovie at minimum.
Mots sequencers support a video - obviously a must for film composers, so from there you can drag the audio left or right to align it, with the snap function switched off, you can align it almost perfectly.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 2112
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Portable video recording

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:29 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 am
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:40 am
Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:26 am
Audio and video merge is very easy if you have a sequencer like Cubase. I do it all the time. Plus you can add some digital reverb.
Is it easier to sync audio in a video editor or import video to an audio editor? Never occurred to me to try that!
The OP has a Mac so has Garageband and iMovie at minimum.
Mots sequencers support a video - obviously a must for film composers, so from there you can drag the audio left or right to align it, with the snap function switched off, you can align it almost perfectly.
Sure but can you edit the video within the sequencer they way you can edit the audio within a video editor? Maybe we are getting off-topic ...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

asmodeus
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 pm
Location: Stuttgart area, Germany

Re: Portable video recording

Post by asmodeus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:39 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:45 am
asmodeus wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:38 am
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 am

I'm wondering here, firstly do you really need the video? ...
Good question. I'm in the process of switching right-hand technique and the video helps me spot irregularities/glitches and monitor progress.
So you have very good reason to want picture: for that purpose one might make do with the built-in. Except you want good sound so you can correlate position and tone...
Yes, the internal mic is a bit limited for my taste. I'm now looking at the Rode iXY-L and the Shure MV51.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”