Fishman LoudBox vs. (Yamaha THR-5A x2)

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
ElRay

Fishman LoudBox vs. (Yamaha THR-5A x2)

Post by ElRay » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Well, it wasn't planned, but we now have two acoustic-electric (AE) nylon string guitars in the house and the old Crate GFX-65 isn't really cutting it.

Anybody have experience with Fishman LoudBox or Yamaha THR-5A?

The LoudBox is more overall versatile and essentially a modern acoustic version of the Crate (two inputs through separate amps into one mono-speaker), but the Yamaha is specifically designed for AE guitars, stereo, and I can buy two of them for the price of a LoudBox Artist.

Bill

Re: Fishman LoudBox vs. (Yamaha THR-5A x2)

Post by Bill » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 pm

There are lots of good choices out there. I have a loudbox 100. It is very easy to make sound good, is reliable, and is quite portable.
More guitars than 1 boy could ever possibly need

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:03 am

I happen to own a LoudBox Mini and a THR-10.

The LoudBox is a fantastic user-friendly gigging amp. Very easy to get a good sound, and great at limiting feedback at higher volumes. I actually traded a Roland Street Cube for the LoudBox because of feedback problems. I have to admit that it's extremely heavy for such a small amp, but it's served me great at wedding and outdoor function gigs. It would be fine for audiences of 50 or less.

I've mainly used my THR for electric playing, and my takeaway is that it's built for an audience of one i.e. a practice amp. Great diversity of tone, and easy recording. Weight-wise, it's the lightest amp I've ever held; pretty sure it's under 10 lbs, and you could probably walk around with it strapped on. Lasts a long time on the batteries, too. The downside is that it simply doesn't have enough power to perform, even in smaller indoor settings.

In the end, I think it's about what you're planning to do with it. I use the LoudBox for an on-the-go gigging amp, and the THR for electric practice and recording at home, and they're great in those roles.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

ElRay

Post by ElRay » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:58 am

Didn't think about playing out vs. home. It would like be an at home "gig", playing with the kids. That's all the Crate gets used for now.

tcrist

Post by tcrist » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I have the Loudbox and it is very nice. I like the portability. One suggestion I have is to point the speaker straight up at the ceiling. I really don't like the harshness of the sound coming out of not just the Loudbox, but ANY speaker cabinet. I tried this with a choir in a large venue recently and it was fantastic. It really provides a much more natural, disperse sound and saves the person who sits directly in the speaker's path. Give it a try and see what you think.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 pm

ElRay wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:58 am
Didn't think about playing out vs. home. It would like be an at home "gig", playing with the kids. That's all the Crate gets used for now.
Why do you need an amp at home? Do your kids play the drums?
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

ElRay

Post by ElRay » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am

sxedio wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 pm
ElRay wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:58 am
Why do you need an amp at home? Do your kids play the drums?
Sorry, should have been more clear: We have two "silent" nylon stringed guitars and the use would "mostly" be at home, w/ occsional out-of-the-house playing. That's the reason for the "Who's actually used one of these things?" thread.

I'm leaning towards the LoudBox because the Crate is dying. So, the LoudBox could also be used for electric guitar practice, and since it's an "acoustic" amps, it could also be used for the output of a modeler pedal (or two) and the electronic keyboard we have.

I tend to over emphasis the "multi-purpose", "we could also" and "maybe down the road", etc. so if the Yamaha fits the bill, why spend the extra?

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:17 pm

OK sure, with a silent you'd need an amp, even if it is a bedroom amp!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

GMR

Post by GMR » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:40 pm

I have a THR5A and it is quite nice for in home use. It has a nylon string setting among the model settings. Even the single clean electric model is really good, with just a hint of breakup when pushed with the gain maxed. A great bedroom acoustic amp. I have wondered how it would sound run to an external sound source via the headphone out.... have not attempted that yet. The tiny speakers in the THR amps are not up to the task of high volumes. They are completely capable of producing very nice sounds for playing in your home though.
Last edited by GMR on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garland

GMR

Post by GMR » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:46 pm

The THR’s effects are very good as well. I used it with my old Yamaha NTX 700, a few steel string acoustics and my Tele. I am not an electric player insofar as neededing hi gain and distortion, so this little amp suits all my current desire. The NTX 700 sounded really nice through this amplifier.
Garland

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”