How to make a video on a low budget...

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
googee52

Re: How to make a video on a low budget...

Post by googee52 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi all, I have been using my smart phone - a samsung i760 to record views of my right hand exercises. its 1.3 meg picture quality is barely good enough to evaluate my progress and the sound quality is anything but. I am planning to get an Zoom H2 to record the sound. any suggestions for a low cost (ie. under $300) camcorder? the problem with a web cam (i think) is its inability to zoom or record close ups.
thanks

domgarcia

Post by domgarcia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:11 am

A surprisingly cheap 2.0 Mp webcam I just purchased today for about US$50 (Rocketfish 2Mp autofocus) has the ability to zoom in and out, manual and auto focus, panning, tilting, and even face tracking. It has its own software for video recording (in AVI or WMV format), and you can choose the H2 zoom microphone as the audio source if you connect the H2 to your computer via the USB cable. Gone are the days of synching video to audio :D
It does have it's own built in microphone..which actually doesn't sound bad. But of course, it's still not as good as an H2 zoom.
The only downside is if you use the highest resolution 1200 x 1600 the maximum frame per second is only 5 fps, which makes the motion on the video look choppy. However I find the quality of 640 x 480 resolution to be sufficient, and frame per second goes up to 30 fps which makes the motion look much smoother. Also, if you record with insufficient lighting, for example when recording at night, the video becomes grainy, however with sufficient lighting the quality looks great.

googee52

Post by googee52 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks Domgarcia
that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

cn90

Post by cn90 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:17 pm

To make video on a low budget (laptop/webcam is fine but cumbersome to bring to a concert so ---> digital camera is the answer).
I have done this for 3 years now and it works great:
1. When buying a digital camera, buy one with video feature. Add about an additional $20-30 to get this video feature. For example:
- Digital camera w/o video: $80-90
- Digital camera WITH video: $100-120 or so.

2. Software issue: Most digital cameras record in Quicktime format, which gives you quality recording but also consumes more memory in MB.
Example: 5-minute piano recitals = 60 MB!
So to convert from Quicktime to MP3 format:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33770

Basically use "Any Video Converter" software to convert to any format you like.
Adjust the quality so it fits the upload requirement such as 8MB max etc.

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:00 am

You might also contact your local Access TV channel and either ...

1. See if there is someone there (a producer) that might be interested in recording you (either for a new program or an existing program)
2. or see if you can use their equipment to record yourself

If you get air time, you can also get some free publicity
And, the video/sound quality should be a lot better than what you can do on your own.

googee52

Post by googee52 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:58 am

re CN90:
To make video on a low budget (laptop/webcam is fine but cumbersome to bring to a concert so ---> digital camera is the answer).

how is the audio from a digital camera? the sound needs to be good enough to pick up at least some of the nuances, tonal variety, etc.

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:47 am

googee52 - what did you end doing?

rayjang

Post by rayjang » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:50 pm

GuitarTim/hav:

Thanks for the thread and the detailed information. I've been scratching my head about how to do this.

Kind regards, Ray.

Exit209

Post by Exit209 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Awesome info on this thread. helped me alot

joep

Post by joep » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 am

This question is for Hav: I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 but the software does not offer the option to save the video clip to a file once you stop the recording. Is there a way to do this? Thanks

googee52

Post by googee52 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:14 pm

RE:
by Dave the Great » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:47 pm

googee52 - what did you end doing?Dave the Great

I have an H2 and from another thread in the Forum, discovered I needed to change the SD card to a better quality one then what comes with the unit. recorded sound from the H2 is excellent now. I am having problems with video but I think its the laptop I'm using. I'm going to try switching to another computer to see if that helps.

JohnGrinsted

Post by JohnGrinsted » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:35 pm

Great thread, hope it can be kept live because with youtube taking over the planet we will all need to get video conscious pretty soon anyway. Personally I find it more stimulating to play along to someone on a video recording than just to play along to an audio recording.

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Tue May 26, 2009 3:45 am

googee52 wrote:RE:
by Dave the Great » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:47 pm

googee52 - what did you end doing?Dave the Great

I have an H2 and from another thread in the Forum, discovered I needed to change the SD card to a better quality one then what comes with the unit. recorded sound from the H2 is excellent now. I am having problems with video but I think its the laptop I'm using. I'm going to try switching to another computer to see if that helps.
I didn't realize you had responded to me.

That's great that it worked out for you!

That's kind of bizarre about the SD card. So, did it just not write fast enough - I mean was it too slow of a card? Or why didn't it work with it?

Thanks

jitterbug

Post by jitterbug » Wed May 27, 2009 11:27 am

Looking at the date this topic started, some of the the technology mentioned must now be a little bit out of date by now.

You can now get a HD Video camera for a modest price, some record to SD card while others record to hard disk. Most of these camera's seem to have reasonable quality microphones and come supplied with editing software. So you can now make video with quality sound in full HD or reduce to 720p to display on Youtube.

Andy

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Thu May 28, 2009 4:26 am

jitterbug wrote:Looking at the date this topic started, some of the the technology mentioned must now be a little bit out of date by now.

You can now get a HD Video camera for a modest price, some record to SD card while others record to hard disk. Most of these camera's seem to have reasonable quality microphones and come supplied with editing software. So you can now make video with quality sound in full HD or reduce to 720p to display on Youtube.

Andy
Sure. You are correct. I mean this topic started ~ 4 years ago, which is ancient in technology terms.

I mean you can get a Kodak digital camera for ~ $150 that not only takes awesome pics, but shoots HD video. Technology really has come a long way!

I still think the public access tv help is a good idea, too, though.

However, my question above was related to a post only a little less than 2 months ago. I was just curious why the SD card created a problem.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”