How to make a video on a low budget...

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
jitterbug

Re: How to make a video on a low budget...

Post by jitterbug » Thu May 28, 2009 11:14 am

With the SD cards go for the class 6 if possible if being used for video or audio with a high sampling rate, some class 4 cards do work but it's a bit hit and miss.

Andy

Dave the Great

Post by Dave the Great » Sat May 30, 2009 2:56 am

jitterbug wrote:With the SD cards go for the class 6 if possible if being used for video or audio with a high sampling rate, some class 4 cards do work but it's a bit hit and miss.

Andy
I was wondering if it had to do with that.

Thank you!

Ahmeni

Post by Ahmeni » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Well, I can't say much about low budget, as my wife has recently purchased a professional HD movie camera, and Liquid editing software, which I believe is the standard for most tv shows nowadays, however, for what she got, she paid less than 6000 Australian dollars.

I used to use my Fuji 6.5mp still camera in video mode, recording 640x480, and just trusted the inbuilt microphone, which did a pretty reasonable quality recording.

When Miranda bought her camera though, I found I needed a seperate audio track, so I hunted down a professional quality recording microphone (Samson CU30 USB mic - 200 dollars from e - b a y) which came with great recording software (Cakewalk)... Highly recommended! I've never sounded so good!

The videos that we now produce are HD and great quality, but a little too large for this forum, so we use Youtube as a vehicle for them.

15 years ago we would have been talking in the hundreds of thousands for this quality.

I love technology! :D

Ahmeni/Laurence.

brphillips

Post by brphillips » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:20 pm

thanks to all who have posted here. All good stuff to get us going. I note that most people upload to youtube and then embed on the forum. Is this the easiest way?
Not many people on youtube are editing their vids, so I guess they are using their raw files to upload.
Bryan

Tom Cunliffe

Post by Tom Cunliffe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:20 am

I make videos using my high-end Canon compact camera with a cheap mini-tripod which I stand on a table - or if you google "make a mini-tripod" you'll learn how to make one from a tennis ball!

I process using the quite cheap Serif MoviePlus X3 which allows me to edit the video and audio tracks separately - many people don't realise that the .AVI file created by their digital camera has both tracks included - you just need software to edit them separately.

The nice thing about the Serif software is that it allows you to use free plugins like Ambience VST which has a huge range of reverb effects. I highly recommend this Serif program having tried quite a few others. Its easy to use and has every feature I could want for titling etc. It also has an "export to YouTube" function - you put your username and password in and Serif MoviePlus X3 does the rest. I tend to use mp4 files for output - the compression is quite remarkable considering the quality retained.

YouTube is great for sharing music, but I think the audio is very much degraded. When I play the video on YT, the sound is much inferior to the original file's on my computer. To be honest, I don't think there's a lot of value in using elaborate equipment if the end result is to go on YouTube.

On listening to YT videos of solo instruments, one common mistake in my view is overuse of reverb. The sound can get muddy very quickly. I use an effect in Ambience plugin called Amoebe Presence which gives the lightest of reverb efffects while just removing the harshness that can come from a raw recording.

Here's an example - (I don't claim this is well-played - its just for demonstration purposes - and sorry its mandolin, not guitar!)

Youtube

If anyone has any questions about my experience of Serif MoviePlus X3 I'm happy to answer here or by PM.

Tom
Last edited by Tom Cunliffe on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brphillips

Post by brphillips » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Brilliant. Thanks so much for the info. I had thought of using my digital camera Samsung Digimax S500 (5Mp) on a tripod. I also bought a Windows livecam, but my PC only has USB 1 so will likely be slow at capturing images. I guess one needs a good frame rate to see fingers moving. I particularly want to see what my right hand is doing (is it i,m,i,mor i,i,i,i, m,m, ?
One day I'll get round to testing this all out. At the moment I am building a website using windows office live - it is free and very easy to use.
Bryan

Tom Cunliffe

Post by Tom Cunliffe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:34 pm

HI Bryan

I use a frame rate of 30, which seems to give a quite good level of detail.

Yes, Windows Office Live can be used to create a great website. Also Google Sites is what I use for a variety of websites including my local folk music club http://www.seafordfolkclub.com. The benefit of using Google Sites is that you can embed YouTube videos and Picasa slideshows in it very easily. No doubt Windows Office Live does a similar job with Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Tom

leonbloy

Post by leonbloy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:10 pm

I use 15 FPS (maximum speed for my cheap Canon PowerShot 550 ) at 640x480, and it seems just enough to see the fingers movements (judge yourself : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHE08t04aI )

I usually also make some basic video post-processing with AviSynth (free, and very flexible for geeks... but not very user friendly). It permits to simulate alternate shots and close-ups, for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqOptUyRBPs

Hernán

allenlucas

Post by allenlucas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 am

My gear in recording some guitar video is a Creative VGA webcam and for the audio I use Samson CO1U USB Mic and Windows Movie Maker for capturing the video.

leonbloy did you use 2 camera to simulate a split screen effect of your left and right hand? how did you do that effect?

leonbloy

Post by leonbloy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:45 pm

allenlucas wrote: leonbloy did you use 2 camera to simulate a split screen effect of your left and right hand? how did you do that effect?
No, only one camera. Just some video post-processing, sort of a (digital) crop-zoom-paste : two rectangular selections from the original frame are resized and placed together. A video processing program as AviSynth (and others, I suppose ; perhaps also Moviemaker) permits you to do these things... with a little math :-)

allenlucas

Post by allenlucas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 am

Thank you for the info, I am still having trouble in making a PIP effect on my videos.

mkorbanic

Post by mkorbanic » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 am

Thanks for the info

flusen

Post by flusen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Everyone,

This has been a very enlightening thread. My teacher has been making noises about me recording myself. I had no idea how to even start or that I already had the capabilities in a simple digital camera and a web cam. Now to give it a try.

Thanks and regards to everyone,

Fred

spinality

Post by spinality » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Has anybody experimented with marrying low-cost video with better-quality audio? I have decent gear and software for audio recording, and would like to create video at the same time, then merge the results after editing/postprocessing the audio for quality sound. (I probably should do some research BEFORE asking this question, but perhaps somebody has already found the potholes to avoid.) I'm sure this will depend on the video approach and format chosen, e.g. webcam versus stand-alone video recorder, but any notes about practical experience would be welcome.

leonbloy

Post by leonbloy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Has anybody experimented with marrying low-cost video with better-quality audio?
I think this is standard practice, even for amateurs like myself :)
For Youtube, I record my videos with a photo camera that has rudimentary video recording capabilities (Canon Powershot 550) and the sound with a Samson C01U USB mic. I make some basic audio processing with Audacity and then mix it with the video (I usually do some video editing, too). I use Avisynth, a non-linear free video editing program (nice for programmers, not very user friendly for mere mortals), but I guess any video editor (MovieMaker ?) would allow this. I usually make the video-sync manually, from the same video-editor program. In my experience, the sync have not been difficult, and there is no need of great precision (~ 50 or 100 msecs is enough... at least for youtube!). An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLibg28h4Fw
Last edited by leonbloy on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”