How to make a video on a low budget...

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
spinality

Re: How to make a video on a low budget...

Post by spinality » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of input I was after -- the suggestion of Avisynth. There are a bazillion tools out there, and often after a couple of days fiddling around you find out that Tab A doesn't go into Slot B. I didn't realize but should have guessed that "any video editor" would have these capabilities (since to date I haven't had any video to edit). Much obliged.

leonbloy

Post by leonbloy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:56 pm

You're welcome. Besides MovieMaker (included in -some?- Windows) and several high-end (paid) video editors, here are some free ones:
- VirtualDub: old, rather rudimentary but also very flexible - I use it in conjuction with AVS (avisynth) inputs. Only AVI format for output. Only Windows.
- Avidemux: somewhat similar to VirtualDub, not AVS friendly, but supports more modern formats/containers (MP4)
- meGUI : AVS friendly, but oriented to MP4/H264 (modern) - I prefer AviDub interface, though.
- handBrake: also modern, but multiplatform (not only windows) - not for AVS.

Fran Guidry

Post by Fran Guidry » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:33 pm

spinality wrote:Has anybody experimented with marrying low-cost video with better-quality audio? I have decent gear and software for audio recording, and would like to create video at the same time, then merge the results after editing/postprocessing the audio for quality sound. (I probably should do some research BEFORE asking this question, but perhaps somebody has already found the potholes to avoid.) I'm sure this will depend on the video approach and format chosen, e.g. webcam versus stand-alone video recorder, but any notes about practical experience would be welcome.
I did a couple of blog posts on this topic. The latest one covers the use of REAPER, a very powerful and low cost digital audio workstation program that includes video capability: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/07/ ... in-reaper/

Fran

spinality

Post by spinality » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Fran Guidry wrote:The latest one covers the use of REAPER, a very powerful and low cost digital audio workstation program that includes video capability: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/07/ ... in-reaper/
LOL. I guess I should have looked more carefully at the capabilities of Reaper when I installed it; I had only been thinking of it for audio processing and hadn't noticed the video features. I'm glad I asked for suggestions...I had a feeling the right tools were already installed on my system, lurking in a morass of products, user interfaces, and too much information. :)

jiyeonkim

Post by jiyeonkim » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:57 pm

My friend records me. He uses a Kodak Zi6 for video and records the audio separately and syncs them later. It's really good quality video for a cheap camera and it's HD too!

spinality

Post by spinality » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 am

jiyeonkim wrote:My friend records me. He uses a Kodak Zi6 for video and records the audio separately and syncs them later. It's really good quality video for a cheap camera and it's HD too!
Sounds good. But what does he use to for syncing them? There are lots of tools and methods, some of which play nicely together and others that don't. I'm interested in strategies that give high quality without high cost or heartburn.

Fran Guidry

Post by Fran Guidry » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:37 pm

As I mentioned in the post above, REAPER digital audio workstation software has recently added and upgraded video capability. I linked to a tutorial demonstrating the process. You can download a fully functional copy of REAPER to evaluate its use. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

Fran

spinality

Post by spinality » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:38 am

Fran Guidry wrote:As I mentioned in the post above, REAPER digital audio workstation software has recently added and upgraded video capability. I linked to a tutorial demonstrating the process.
Fran
Yes, thanks. I do have Reaper installed and have been experimenting with these video features that I had been ignoring. I was also interested in hearing what tools jiyeonkim was referring to, who said "My friend records me. He uses a Kodak Zi6 for video and records the audio separately and syncs them later."

Tom Cunliffe

Post by Tom Cunliffe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Videoing on a low budget: the new Canon Powershot G12 has VGA video and in-built stereo mikes. ALSO a socket for an external microphone. Having used a lesser Canon for some time and been very satisfied with the video results, I think the G12 could be an excellent choice for someone wanting to record good-enough quality videos of classical guitar.

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:37 am

Hi Tim,

I happen to have a Cannon Power Shot too, and guess what? I did it exactly the way you described it. It was so nice´n´easy! I know have a few clicks in my YouTube videos. I´ll now have to work on the lighting,clothes,funny faces and that kind of stuff.

thanks!

layneb

Post by layneb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:25 am

Apple computers come with two built-in software options for capturing video:

1) Photo Booth will capture video through the built-in camera
2) iMovie will also capture video through the built-in camera

Both use the built-in microphone to capture the sound (not great), although it looks like iMovie lets you attach an external microphone as the source. However, in my initial tests, the resulting files are huge. I'm continuing to research how to reduce the file size and will post more of what I learn.

If any other Apple users out there have suggestions, please share.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:59 pm

layneb wrote:Apple computers come with two built-in software options for capturing video:

1) Photo Booth will capture video through the built-in camera
2) iMovie will also capture video through the built-in camera

Both use the built-in microphone to capture the sound (not great), although it looks like iMovie lets you attach an external microphone as the source. However, in my initial tests, the resulting files are huge. I'm continuing to research how to reduce the file size and will post more of what I learn.

If any other Apple users out there have suggestions, please share.
I tried using iMovie for the first time to make a video of myself last night. The built-in camera took the video and I recorded the audio on my Zoom H4N. But I can't seem to sync them properly. :( I tried to drag the audio to the right frame when I started to play, but I guess the audio needs some editing first. I recorded it in mp3 format and I can't seem to get it into Garage Band to edit it. I thought I did this before, but maybe I recorded in a wav format then. :? All I know is that I spent most of my evening's practice time fooling around with software. :evil:
The built in mic did not pick up the audio as I played. I have no idea why not. :?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

spinality

Post by spinality » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:23 pm

There are many good low-cost audio editing tools that will let you trim your .mp3 or .wav. One option is WavePad (http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html). A Google search for 'mp3 editing' will provide many other choices. - Trevor

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:22 pm

spinality wrote:There are many good low-cost audio editing tools that will let you trim your .mp3 or .wav. One option is WavePad (http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html). A Google search for 'mp3 editing' will provide many other choices. - Trevor
Thanks, Trevor. But I thought I could edit mp3 files in Garage Band. :?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

canonmj

Post by canonmj » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:02 pm

There are many options for recording classical guitar videos. This set-up is certainly not professional grade, but more than adequate.

My set-up is a Creative Vado third generation HD pocket video camera (I like it because it has the widest angle lens in its class) on a small table tripod. You need an external microphone, otherwise the sound is horrible. I have an Olympus ME-51S which I clip to my music stand's page holder and I am good to go. The closer the microphone to the sound hole of the guitar, the better the sound quality. I also have Apple Quicktime Player Pro for basic editing. The whol set-up is less than 200 US dollars.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”