How to make a video on a low budget...

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
adamali

Re: How to make a video on a low budget...

Post by adamali » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:32 am

I don't know if anyone has posted this, but for audio, there is a free tool that you can download for recording and mixing. Check this out http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

canonmj

Post by canonmj » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:32 pm

I have found a free and very powerful program for sound editing of your video.

It is called audacity and you can download the beta version (1.3.12) from their web-site audacity.sourceforge.net. Since this is a beta version, the symbols may not make too much sense at first. But youtube has some useful instructional videos on how to use the program. I was able to completely eliminate background hiss in just a few minutes.

spinality

Post by spinality » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Yup, audacity is a good choice, as noted by the previous two posts. Another option for low-cost audio editing is WavePad (http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html). Also, a free-but-you-get-what-you-pay-for video editing option for Windows users is Windows Movie Maker, included as part of recent Windows releases. With it you can merge captured video and audio, add (very limited) titling, and do some basic editing. Its advantages are simplicity and availability, though obviously there are many more robust tools.

fitness1

Post by fitness1 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:09 pm

I had excellent results with the following....

Kodak Zi8 with a Mackie DFX6 passive mixer, Audix F9 for guitar and Audix VX5 for vocals.
The Kodak doesn't accept line level input into the external mic jack, so using the headphone output of the
Mackie (which is adjustable) direct into the Kodak (which has adjustable gain) gave really nice results.
One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin'

McKnight/Poling Sierra - Presentation Koa/Master Italian
Charis SJ Florentine - Koa/BC Sitka
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

leonbloy

Post by leonbloy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:54 pm

fitness1 wrote:Kodak Zi8 with a Mackie DFX6 passive mixer, Audix F9 for guitar and Audix VX5 for vocals.
Everything is relative, agreed - but I wouldn't call that "low budget" :)

Dennisredwood

Post by Dennisredwood » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:04 am

I'm interested in taking lessons on this site and need a video/audio recorder. Does anyone have recommendations? I've been looking at the Zoom Q3HD. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks. Dennis

asle

Post by asle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:08 pm

I have had success even with one of the first Zoom recorders H2.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/
I still wish I could afford a couple of AKG C 480 B microphones which I know Per Olov Kindgren uses for his great sound on his YouTube videos.

spinality

Post by spinality » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 pm

asle wrote:I have had success even with one of the first Zoom recorders H2.
Heh heh, yes and my Zoom H1 is still managing OK.

p_dmusic

Post by p_dmusic » Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 am

Low budget answer- well relatively low budget compared to others. I have a flip HD camera about $60. Also for lighting I use 2 of those clamp work lights that were $8 a piece clamp them on to whatever I have that is how high I want the lights Ive used a ironing board flipped over and coat rack whatever. Lighting makes a HUGE difference on the Flip HD. I don't know what to do for sound as the flip doesn't have any line-in. just as long as its close its pretty decent. Then I edit with iMovie. Also look into dropbox- its a cloud based service were you can store files. Video takes up a lot of space so just storing to the cloud is easy and super easy if you ever have to switch computers.

-Paul

spinality

Post by spinality » Fri May 04, 2012 5:42 am

Things have moved on quite a long way since the OP, and even since I chimed in with my first question in this thread in 2010. At this point, there are so many low-cost recording solutions available that it's amusing to look back at what we had to do long, long in the past...two or three years ago.

Daniele Magli

Post by Daniele Magli » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 pm

As I say in another topic I always used low budget for my videos
and now I use a Canon Ixus 220 HS with Windows Movie Maker.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=70496

no editing and no special audio effects, because I don't like.

atza

Post by atza » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 am

Why don't you upload it to youtube and post a link here?
Also a thing that you need to get at least decent video is good lighting. So make sure you have all lights turned on and choose a real bright and sunny day with curtains removed to let sun in.
Of course it is better that you have a simple spot light but since you said you are using 2mpx camera i assume you don't have any other advanced eqipment such as spotlight would be.

Jeremy Eliot

Post by Jeremy Eliot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Can anyone advise whether the results produced by using Photo Booth on an Apple iBook and (say) a Blue Snowball mic are acceptable or are they way short of those resulting from using a video cam plus external mic?
I've started exploring recording techniques because I'm trying to build up the courage to join online lessons but have found recording myself a great way to improve my playing.
Cheers
Jeremy

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:39 pm

With which programs can I delete the sound of the video I have recorded with my handycam and substitute it with the audio file I have recorded with usb microphone or a recorder? (windows or linux)

Thank you!

Moje

Post by Moje » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Haris, check out Fran's tutorial (above) on using Reaper; I think the process is even easier now than it was when he made the video. Reaper is an audio workstation with basic video editing capabilities, not free but very inexpensive and comes as a free evaluation version (30 days I think.) BTW technically it can be made to work in Linux, but don't do that unless you enjoy headaches ; )
2014 Michael Thames 650mm Cedar & IRW
1976 No. 10 Sakurai 660mm Spruce & IRW

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”