How to make a video on a low budget...

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Re: How to make a video on a low budget...

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:59 am

Thank you Moje! I will try it.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Sweetwater currently has a great deal on the Zoom Q2HD's, $99 including taxes, free shipping, 2 year warranty, tech support included etc
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q2HD

Just ordered one, $99 out the door, will arrive in 2-4 business days

There's also a payment plan of $4.17 per month, 0% interest for 24 months if lump sum payment up front is a problem.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for the Info here I was condering how to go about recording to video thanks I'll give it a try thanks

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:39 am

cool stuff JM thanks not bad have to look into it the ZOOM Q 4,

jlynker

Post by jlynker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:05 am

VideoPad by NCH has a free version for non-commercial use.
http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

I haven't tested many of it's features yet, but it allows selecting audio input separate from video input so, for instance, using an inexpensive HD VideoCam (Microsoft LifeCam) while selecting more quality audio (Presonus AudioBox One w/ a nice mic) is possible and easy.

janepaints

Post by janepaints » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:09 am

i've been using a Flipcam video recorder for 5 years now...the company folded--smartphones do video as-good or better...but the flipcam is easy and provides acceptable sound & image...it got mine new for $35 at walmart...they show up on craigslist...very easy to use--press the record button to start recording, press it again to stop recording...the lens has a modest zoom ability...a usb thingie flips out (thus 'flipcam') to connect to your computer without any need for cables...runs on AA batteries...comes with integral editing software--titling, editing, combining shorts clips to make longer videos etc.

khayes

Post by khayes » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:33 am

I recently came across a couple of videos by Adam Rafferty (steel string) going into detail about his recording setup. I found it very informative (as if I might ever do a video!) and thought it might be good for others new to the technology. Check him out on the Tube.
Ken

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:52 pm

I like the zoom q8 so far for several reasons:
1. It records in stereo and the mic modules are changeable
2. You can add additional microphones with the 2 xlr inputs and it has phantom power
3. The audio quality is the same as the zoom audio recorders and you can turn compression off. The compression on the gopro makes it useless for audio.
4. You can replace the 2 mics with additional xlr inputs for up to 4 microphones.
5. You can export the audio separately from video, import it into protools or other audio editor and add reverb, compression, eq and then export the audio and video into a video editor like iMovie or Final Cut.

Overall, I like it better than any simple low budget recorder because of these options. Audio quality seems to be a higher priority in the zoom gear than others.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

tonychu

Post by tonychu » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:09 am

I have been trying several things for over a year and finally happy with iRig Mic by IK Multimedia. It is an external microphone to use with smart phone or tablet that you can buy for around $60 from Amazon. Here is my recording for reference:
https://vimeo.com/215445696

raven

Post by raven » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:51 pm

That sounds really great Tony, thanks for the info and I think I will try this. Can't really go too wrong for that price. Where did you place the microphone? Right next to the phone or somewhere else? I assume the cord length it comes with is adequate for how you did it?

tonychu

Post by tonychu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 pm

raven wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:51 pm
That sounds really great Tony, thanks for the info and I think I will try this. Can't really go too wrong for that price. Where did you place the microphone? Right next to the phone or somewhere else? I assume the cord length it comes with is adequate for how you did it?
Hi Raven,

Sorry I haven't logged in for weeks and only saw your post today. That iRig Mic comes with 2m cable, enough to use with smart phone without any extension cable in my case. And I placed it about 40-50cm away from the sound hole in the 11:00 direction.

For your reference, IK Multimedia also has another product called iRig Mic Cast that is even cheaper but comes without cable. It catches even clearer and pure sound than the iRig Mic but also makes the sound a little bit dryer than actual. I recorded this piece with that mic, using a TRRS extension cable and placing the mic just 10cm away from the sound hole: https://vimeo.com/192531038

Cheers & have fun recording ;)
Tony

Dominique

Post by Dominique » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:46 pm

I am slowly making a video clip of one of my song. The recording was made by a friend using a Canon high-end photo camera. The advantage of using it is a real lens, which give better images. To record the audio, a zoom h4 was used at the same time. We took a fixed view of the whole song, and several other views from different angles.

After, I copied all the files into my computer. I use linux, so the software are not the same than with windows or mac.

First I made the audio with ardour (a multi-tracks professional software recorder). It is an overkill to use it, but I learn the software at the same time, so it is ideal to begin with a simple workflow. In conjunction with ardour, I used very few lv2 plugins, mainly a good jk meter for the final mix-down to stereo.

After, I begun to make the video clip using cinelerra. I choosed cinelerra because it is a very professional software with a lot of possibilities. The disadvantage being it take time to learn, but I am learning some interesting concepts about video, video editing and good video editing workflow at the same time. I am in the middle of this now, and it take time.

But I already have some learning to share. It is a video of a song, with me playing the guitar and singing. It was recorded into a church. We made only a complete recording of the song with the camera, the first one, the one with a fix view. My goal is to mix it with the other recording.

The first lesson is it would have been much better to have 2 cameras, one taking a fix view of each single recording, and the second one to take the other angles.

Or to make it even more professional by first making the audio recording with the zoom h4 and the mixing with the computer. After that, it is possible to play that recording in the church or whatever is the filming location, and just play and sing over that music during the recording.

I think the first method with several camera is best suited to record live performances, but to record a clip, the second workflow (first make the audio, after make the video recording) would be better.

andrethompson
Student of the online lessons

Post by andrethompson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi

I saw the video and that was excellent playing!
The video to me was a bit dark but your music more than made up for that :)
I love the rich bass notes and it worked very well with the treble notes - a wonderful balance that was a joy to watch and listen.

Thank you!

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”