how to record an mp3

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
BobM

how to record an mp3

Postby BobM » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:57 am

Hi everyone, here is an introduction to home recording writen by Marie-Claire in the Dutch forum that I translated for all of us that are want to get started in home recording! So here I go:

"Hi, the objective of this sticky is to explain how to record yourself.

I want to record myself, what do I need?

A guitar, a guitar player, a computer with a sound card, software for recording and a mic or some other recording device. Since you are a Delcampean, I'm going to assume that you have the following: a guitar, a guitar player, a computer and a sound card. If you can hear music from your PC, this means that you have a sound card.

The software.
I can recommend a program that you can download for free from the net, "audacity", it is located here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

After the installation of Audacity and running the program for the first time, you will receive a message that you must install "LAME". That add-on program is found here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

When you start Audacity, you will see something that resembles a tape recorder keyboard, with the forward, stop and the rest of the keys or buttons. In order to record, you should click on the red button. The program starts recording whatever gets in through the sound card.

Now the mic.

The less onerous solution (the one I use) is a little mic that is used for internet chat. I've bought a $10 euro mic. It is necessary to hook it to the sound card, -- the jack marked with a mic usually in pink.

A more onerous solution: A mic like the one we see on TV. That one needs always a mixing console. Then you will need a stand to place the mic. What is most important: hook the console to the <<line-in>>, which is a jack in a different color (usually green on your sound card). This system has two advantages: a better sound quality and the fact that you can connect several mics to the mixing console for the recording of several guitars.

To have an idea of the price: Mic +/- 120 euros, the mixing console +/- 70 euros

Finaly the overkill, (but priced +/- 500 euros):
A system type Edirol R-1.
This is a recorder that can be carried in a pocket or a purse, wireless. This equipment does the recording and then you can transfer it into the PC through a USB port. Its micros have an excellent quality and are included with the machine.
http://computeraudiopro.com/pro458792.h ... C=standard

The files generated by Audacity.

Audacity is similar to a word processor. It is necessary to hold the function <<cut>> in order to get rid of all the undesirable spots. It is enough to select part of the sound and cut it.

More information about improving the quality of your recordings is found in this topic: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtop ... highlight=

Marie-Claire"

I hope this translation helps. Good luck and ...happy guitar!

Bob

Thanks Bob for the fine translation. And thanks Gorobete for your post on the mp3 quality improvement.
Marie-Claire
:merci: :merci: :merci:

cprovinse

Postby cprovinse » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:34 pm

Bob thanks for the translation. I don't know why it took me so long to find this post. I have been wanting to record for some time now and did not know where to begin. This is great.

Thanks Marie-Claire

Marie-Claire

Postby Marie-Claire » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:36 pm

Hello cprovinse

Don't be afraid to ask even stupid questions. We are here to help you.
Marie-Claire

upucci

Postby upucci » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:34 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much BobM for your discussion on how to record your guitar sound! I have been wanting to record my guitar sound for a long time, and I didn't know how to go about it. Now, hopefully I will know how. Thank you so much again.

reality789

Postby reality789 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:26 pm

great info

Porgy_M

Postby Porgy_M » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:26 am

I have been looking for this information for awhile now. It s good to record something especially when one has practiced a piece so many times that you don't really hear it. Right now I am going to try a mic from Radio Shack which is inexpensive but is supposed to be good.

guitarmonk

Good information, I will give it a try

Postby guitarmonk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:47 pm

Hi,
This is a nice information, i had less time to download the things but what about the mirror.
Generally I use soundeforge to record my guitar n stuff. Can anyone compare this with what you have given. It will be a good information.

:D

Trent Murcott

Postby Trent Murcott » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:15 am

Great info, I have been itching to record something for a while now but did not know where to start. As soon as I read this I went out and brought a chat mike for $10 and I was recording shortly after. My only regret is that I did'nt find this site sooner. Nice work!

Adam Cantanhede Melo

Postby Adam Cantanhede Melo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:12 pm

thank's by the help
this forum it's very interesting!!!!!!!

degradable

Postby degradable » Tue May 02, 2006 8:26 am

Unfortunately one of the links (To the recording device is broken, (Or appears to be). I am looking to try to get a better quality of recording device and this link may have given me a clearer idea of where to go for one.

Thanks for the other tips on this subject

chervis

mic location

Postby chervis » Wed May 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Has anyone try to record a guitar from diferent mic locations? Which mic locations do you think is better? Inside o fthe guitar? Just at the front?

Thank you

Jacob

Postby Jacob » Mon May 29, 2006 2:16 am

I usually just use my speakers as the mic! I plug them in he mic input point the speakers on front of the sound hole and let it rip!

jacobsonbrandon

Postby jacobsonbrandon » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Wow! I can't believe how easy it is to record a song and turn it into an mp3 file. If only I knew about this sooner. Just joined delcamp yesterday and already I am recording music on my CG!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

neo18

Postby neo18 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:25 pm

Hi,

that's a very great information.
Thank you very much.

It easy to read and to follow. :D

Cheers
neo

johnguitar

Postby johnguitar » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:57 am

Does anyone use either an "EMU 0400" or a "Digidesign" "M-Box" besides me? I would like to hear from other users?

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”