how to record an mp3

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Shahin

Re: how to record an mp3

Post by Shahin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:22 am

BobM wrote:Hi everyone, here is an introduction to home recording writen by Marie-Claire in the Dutch forum that I translated for all of us that are want to get started in home recording! So here I go:

"Hi, the objective of this sticky is to explain how to record yourself.

I want to record myself, what do I need?

A guitar, a guitar player, a computer with a sound card, software for recording and a mic or some other recording device. Since you are a Delcampean, I'm going to assume that you have the following: a guitar, a guitar player, a computer and a sound card. If you can hear music from your PC, this means that you have a sound card.

The software.
I can recommend a program that you can download for free from the net, "audacity", it is located here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

After the installation of Audacity and running the program for the first time, you will receive a message that you must install "LAME". That add-on program is found here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

When you start Audacity, you will see something that resembles a tape recorder keyboard, with the forward, stop and the rest of the keys or buttons. In order to record, you should click on the red button. The program starts recording whatever gets in through the sound card.

Now the mic.

The less onerous solution (the one I use) is a little mic that is used for internet chat. I've bought a $10 euro mic. It is necessary to hook it to the sound card, -- the jack marked with a mic usually in pink.

A more onerous solution: A mic like the one we see on TV. That one needs always a mixing console. Then you will need a stand to place the mic. What is most important: hook the console to the <<line-in>>, which is a jack in a different color (usually green on your sound card). This system has two advantages: a better sound quality and the fact that you can connect several mics to the mixing console for the recording of several guitars.

To have an idea of the price: Mic +/- 120 euros, the mixing console +/- 70 euros

Finaly the overkill, (but priced +/- 500 euros):
A system type Edirol R-1.
This is a recorder that can be carried in a pocket or a purse, wireless. This equipment does the recording and then you can transfer it into the PC through a USB port. Its micros have an excellent quality and are included with the machine.
http://computeraudiopro.com/pro458792.h ... C=standard

The files generated by Audacity.

Audacity is similar to a word processor. It is necessary to hold the function <<cut>> in order to get rid of all the undesirable spots. It is enough to select part of the sound and cut it.

More information about improving the quality of your recordings is found in this topic: viewtopic.php?t=897&start=0&postdays=0& ... highlight=

Marie-Claire"

I hope this translation helps. Good luck and ...happy guitar!

Bob

Thanks Bob for the fine translation. And thanks Gorobete for your post on the mp3 quality improvement.
Marie-Claire
:merci: :merci: :merci:
Bob thank you very much..I have been playing guitar for 20 years and its time to do recording and hear myself, I just got a C11 Stienberg usb audio interface and I am starting working on it , anyone has heard about it? any suggesion what else I need for recording ?..thanks
Shaheen

saibharath

Post by saibharath » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:15 pm

thank you very much for this valuable information.

LordHeinrich

Post by LordHeinrich » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:36 am

Thanks for the info. This is useful!

magno.bento

Post by magno.bento » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm recording myself playing CG with my own cell phone. It's a Nokia E63 with a simple recorder buit-in. When I listen to the pieces with headphones it sounds perfect (under the given restrictions of a cell phone) since the phone's speakers aren't good.

It records the sounds in WAV format and I'll need to find a program to edit and convert the file to mp3. The pro is that I don't need to turn on the computer when I'm playing. The con is that I need to handle the file with other programs.

antanas26

Post by antanas26 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Hello folks.

I have a question that's been nagging me since I got Zoom H2. In original recordings there is way too much bass and it really is distracting. I use graphic EQ to cut those frequences, and then possibly parametric EQ to make some fine adjustments. At least that's what I've been doing lately. My question is, does anyone use low cut filter within the Zoom H2 to help with this issue? I never tried... Probably I should :)

Thanks.
Last edited by antanas26 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sternulf

Post by sternulf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Really going to try recording myself. Will be interesting to hear! I have a USB mic at home that i havnt tried yet. Has anyone used Goldwave for recording?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 am

Hi sternulf, welcome to the forum. Would you like to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Suncascadian

Post by Suncascadian » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:07 am

Thanks for the info. I am going to download audacity and try this out>
Emery

Diverzsolti

Post by Diverzsolti » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:32 am

hi,
Thanks for the information!

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi Diverzsolti,

Welcome to Delcamp. Please take the time to introduce yourself here.

:merci: Vito
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

galabar

Post by galabar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:03 pm

I use the following setup:

The recorder:
Sony PCMM10/B

connected to this:
On Stage CM01 Video Camera / Digital Recorder Adapter

connected to this:
On Stage MSA9508 Posi-Lok Side Mount Boom

connected to this:
Manhasset Concertino Stand (Model #48C)

This setup allows me to record while practicing. It doesn't get in the way, and, sometimes, I can forget it is even there. :)

johnwmclean

Post by johnwmclean » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:45 am

thanks great thread

Liz Williams

Post by Liz Williams » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:58 pm

This is the second thread where I've read about audacity. It looks simpler that Garageband. I'm downloading it now and excited to give it a try. Thank you!

Kennethmarkhoover

Post by Kennethmarkhoover » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:28 pm

This is extremely helpful to me not only for CG but other aspects as well. Thank you very much for getting this information out there so that even someone like me can understand You made it very simple! :D

PhilipRiley

Post by PhilipRiley » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:19 am

Like magno.bento I've been recording my playing using my mobile phone/cell phone. I have a basic model android phone (LG Optimus 1) and use the app Hi-Q MP3 Recorder to do the recording. As it's name implies, it records straight to MP3. I have found that the results are quite good when listened to through the phone headphones, but a little muffled when transferred to the PC and played through the speakers. Still, it is quite good enough for my purpose of checking my playing.
Another option for those with a Playstation plus Singstar, is to plug the USB microphones that come with Singstar into the PCs USB port, and use them, plus Audacity, to do the recording. This also provides OK results. You can find instructions on the technical details for this at:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4928031_install ... puter.html

If buying a better quality microphone, rather than the cheap ones used for Skyping etc, a USB microphone may be the best option. A low-end studio quality USB microphone can be bought for a little over $US50 (check out the "Behringer C-1U Studio Condenser Microphone with USB Audio Interface" for example).
Philip Riley
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”