how to record an mp3

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
cn90

Re: how to record an mp3

Postby cn90 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:24 pm

Grahamb wrote:To cn90

You wrote:
H2 has built-in mics and CANNOT accept external mics.
I'm looking at mine now and it has an external mic input :wink: I haven't tested it with a mic (don't have one)but I'm very happy with the sound quality from the built-in mics.

Graham

Graham,

My apology, there is more to the Zoom H2 story:
http://transom.org/tools/recording_inte ... 1_zoom_h2/
QUOTE:
The other edge has 1/8" mini jack inputs for external mic input, or external line-level input. The mic input can provide "plug-in power" to small electret microphones that need it. That low voltage current can be turned on and off in the utility menu. It's important to note that the Zoom H2 CANNOT provide 48 volt "phantom power" to professional condenser mics, so if you wish to use such a mic, it needs to be powered with an internal battery in the mic. Not all condenser mics can use an internal battery, so be careful in choosing an external mic if you use one.

The Zoom H2's owners manual (Page 20) shows that H2 can only accept one microphone (I may be wrong), and it needs external power supply:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/rela ... manual.pdf

You might want to visit the other thread on Microphones, pay attention to posts by DonM (he is a professional recording engineer with lots of knowledge on recording):

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31459&start=60&hilit=microphones

Have Fun!

jorpheus

Postby jorpheus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:16 am

cerato wrote:Thanks for Audacity software, It very useful to me. I combine Audacity software + Microphone $7 I have some sound sample for my improve the guitar playing skills. I had recorded some sound sampler with my new guitar and shared in Luthier page with item: I am waiting my pride from Vietnam, please check: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33388

Hello,

Yesterday I tried to work - for the first time - with Audacity and an external microphone (Sennheiser e815S). The sound is quite OK but for some reason, when the sound gets below a certain level, there is just a blank signal, even no noise, like if your telephone cuts off the loudspeaker when the other guy stops speaking. I cannot adjust that. It is awful - especially when I play long accords, but also sometimes during short notes, the guitar sound just suddenly disappears. Is this an option in Audacity that I did not find, or is it a problem with the gain of the microphone and/or the dynamic range of the ADC (how can I find that?), or is it a strange property of the soundcard (SigmaTek, built in my laptop)?

The signal level of the microphone in Audacity seems to be OK.

I am just hoping somebody has seen this effect before.

Best wishes,

jorpheus

classicalhippie

Postby classicalhippie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:57 am

ya i used that audacity program to record also, and i thought it worked out alright considering that i had a cheap 10 mic. plus you can record seperate tracks, and play them over each other.not bad for experimenting.

averysimpleguy

Postby averysimpleguy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:13 am

hello and thanks very much for this thread. i have a problem with my recording. there is a backround noise that is not connected to the mic or the mixing console. it is recorded even if the mixer is turned of. is this a problem with my sound card?
thanks

Bogi82

Postby Bogi82 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:39 pm

thanks for information, this very useful.

Gutstring

Postby Gutstring » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:27 am

By sheer happenstance, I've come into possession of several mics, Music Creator 4 by Cakewalk, and a Mackie mixing board. By the time I learn to use all this junk, I'll actually be a good enough guitarist to post something worthwhile, so I guess it will all work out! :casque:

Dominic

Postby Dominic » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:59 am

Wow so many great ideas here. This will really help me.
Thanks to all of you...

Jamie Holding

Postby Jamie Holding » Thu May 07, 2009 8:01 am

I haven't had time to read through every post but I wanted to say that I've found that Audacity muffles the bass notes so I prefer this much cleaner and I think more professional sounding recorder: http://www.roemersoftware.com/free-sound-recorder.html If the link fails just type "FREE Hi-Q Recorder
" into google and it should be the first option. Make sure you download the free one (not free trial, free full time use :D ) and install it. The sound is very clear and the recorder senses quiet after you've finished a piece meaning that you won't have much trouble with reaching the stop button and making a noise. :D

Jamie Holding

Postby Jamie Holding » Sun May 10, 2009 4:56 pm

My MP3s have a nasty fuzzy noise behind them - is there a way of getting rid of that? (WITHOUT losing quality badly...)

Is there a program which doesn't have that? Even if I have to pay for it? Or will it be to do with my mic?

blute

Postby blute » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:59 pm

Thanks for the info. There are currently also a number of apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch for multi-track recording. I haven't tried any of them. Does anybody have experience recording guitar with any of these?

JQ.

Postby JQ. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:33 am

cn90 wrote:
jimc9452 wrote:Newbie question:.....Whan I try to open Lame, I get an error message telling me I need a .dll file.
Is there an easy solution to this? Whan I open the web solutions tab, I get a bunch of companies who want to sell me computer utility stuff....Thanks.....Jim

Jim,

I just saw your post and had the exact question one month ago, now I figure it out!

1. Download Audacity as usual:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

2. Download LAME (I do not know what LAME stands for!). You need LAME to "Export" the file as MP3, otherwise it will be saved as Audacity File (*.aup):
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows
Here is the trick: after downloading LAME, find the file lame_enc.dll.

Copy lame_enc.dll and Paste it into an easier location such as:
C:/Jim(or Your name)/MusicClips

3. Now work on your MP3 file. After you are done with Editing, you need to Export as MP3.
The Audacity software will ask you about the lame_enc.dll file (only once though, and after that do NOT move this lame_enc.dll to other locations of your computer)
Then Audacity will ask you where you want the file to be saved. You can save it as:
C:/Jim(or Your name)/MusicClips
Give the File a Name (such as "Bach-Prelude-No1").
Click OK.

That is it, simple (as long as you know how to do the trick with lame_enc.dll as I mentioned!!!

I ran up against this same problem but the solution mentioned did not work. I had downloaded the lame exe file, so I tried downloading the lame zip file instead and it worked!

Bonita

Postby Bonita » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 am

There are many digital recorders available in electronic shops in my neck of the woods for Canadian $100-200.

They are described as "digital voice recorders."

Any thoughts on their usefulness for recording music? My purpose is pretty simple, to record when I practice for feedback and improvement.

It appears that new Zoom music digital recorder has gotten to Canada, but it is in the Canadian $400 price range! Too expensive.

Replies eagerly anticipated! :casque:

Cary W

Postby Cary W » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 am

Hello Bonita:
Online retailers in Canada such as Steve's music are selling the Zoom H2 in the $220 range.
My daughter checked eee-b a y and got me one as a present for about 150.
This little device is a marvel...definitely get one. :idea:
Once you have recorded your take you can normalize and add reverb with a free processor such as Audacity or Power Sound Editor.

Would love to hear some of that GC31...looking forward to it.

Cheers.
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Bonita

Postby Bonita » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks Cary! :D

Bonita

Postby Bonita » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Hello Cary, yu are absolutley right about the oom H2.

It is the Zoom H4 I saw for close to $400.

Apparently newer and better.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”