Inexpensive Digital Recorders - Need Help

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:36 pm

Personally, I'm loving the M-Audio Microtrack. It does come with a little T microphone that isn't all that bad. And my Canon Rebel digital camera uses Compact Flash. I can swap the same card back and forth without formatting.

The one MP3 I posted was using the Microtrack, then Lame to turn it into an MP3. It comes with Audacity, which I haven't yet experimented with.

jeff carter

Post by jeff carter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:59 pm

I've been using a BOSS BR532 digital 4-track. They're pretty cheap on e - b a y now, ~$200USD.

--Jeff

kaveman

Post by kaveman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:38 pm

that isn't a bad price jeff. what do you think about it overall? I didn't see a usb jack, how to do make mp3s?
-Brett

MichaelS

Post by MichaelS » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:44 pm

Don't know whether anyone is still following this thread, but I tried recording my messy playing with my iPod with the Griffith iTalk microphone on it. It doesn't do badly for a start at recording if you already have an iPod or want one anyway--and it's very portable. It also allows an external mic to be plugged in, but that didn't seem to make the sound any better when I tried it.

robbie

Post by robbie » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:39 pm

I have the Fostex digital recorder mentioned in an earlier post and it works very well, but, recently I acquired a digital voice recorder, an Olympus DS-2 for about $100 US. Recording on the high quality stereo setting gives you about an hour of recording time and it is easy to upload files to your computer. This device is easy to use and easy to take to lessons. I don't use it for high quality recordings. My intent when I acquired it was to obtain something that gave me very decent recordings with a minimum of hassle. I can take this to a lesson and record whatever the teacher wants to show me effortlessly. Or, when I am practicing a piece, I can record what I am doing, upload it to the computer, and listen to what I am doing. All and all, I am very happy with this little digital recorder as a tool to enhance my learning.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”