Which metronome?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
snudz

Which metronome?

Post by snudz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm gonna be looking for a metronome at the weekend and I was wondering if a clockwork or an electronic one is the best way to go?

And any particular makes?

Cheers

Andy

cutnstuf

Re: Which metronome?

Post by cutnstuf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:45 am

I have both types but I only use the electronic one. It's just more convenient.

DWally

Post by DWally » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:04 am

I also have both types only I exclusively use the clockwork one.
It's a very old wooden one and I find it way cooler than the soulless electronic one, I think it suits the CG better.
However the electronic one will last until the batteries die which is a hell of a lot longer than the clockwork one which expires after 10 minutes or so.

Your choice (go the clockwork - it's cooler :wink: )

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:27 am

I have a Matrix electronic that I've been happy with for years. I'm also a drummer, and the Matrix was the only one I could find at the time that has a headphone jack.

I can hook that baby up to my guitar amp, crank it up, and it goes CLICK, CLICK, CLICK!

With the drums, you need that...

The clockwork kind may be cooler, but all the ones I've ever owned went CLICK...CLICK.CLICK...CLICK.CLICK...

I would just recommend that you avoid those digital guys that go beep. You really need a sharp, clean click.

Alan

gazmungus

Post by gazmungus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:24 am

Clockwork!

I have a digital one too, but I find it annoying and boring to change the tempos on it - I have to push and hold a + or - button and then it goes too fast and then I have to shuffle back multiple time - way too fiddley. Whereas with the clockwork one I just zip the little weight up/down and that's that...

The digital one is made by cherub, and it has this hilarious human voice count function - though that novelty wears off rather quickly :wink:

snudz

Post by snudz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks for all yours replies. I must admit that I prefer the idea of the clockwork one but I I'll just have to see what's in the shop I suppose.

Andy

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Andy... I have an electric one that you can set to either a sound or a flashing light. The flashing light alternative, though I don't use it that often, is a nice feature. I had a nice clockwork one years ago when I was playing piano a lot, but it disappeared in a move somewhere along the line. I wish I still had it.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Charlie Schultz
Amateur luthier

Post by Charlie Schultz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:19 pm

If you always have a PC around, there's several Windows/Mac metronomes. Don't know if there's one with a swinging weight- maybe an opportunity for a developer somewhere...

cassteels

Post by cassteels » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Charlie Schultz wrote:Don't know if there's one with a swinging weight- maybe an opportunity for a developer somewhere...
There are several free metronomes on the web you can find with a google search like "metronome software". Some even mimic a clockwork pendulum. But personally, I don't like playing in front of a computer.

toneslave

Post by toneslave » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:45 pm

w w w. metronomeo n l i n e. c o m
has an online metronome with software that you can use on your mobile. I've tried the PC one and it's free and does what you want...tick.

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:38 am

i wanted an electronic metronome but all the reviews were saying they werent loud or gave an annoying beeping sound. the ones that were okay were too expensive.

so i bought a 30 dollar 8gb mp3 player that has a built in speaker from e bay and made mp3 files for the metronome marks. i used the same pattern as metronome online. is this standard? except i made it go up to 240 instead of 208.

it's LOUD and has a nice staccato CLICK. it hurts my ears when i turn it up. i also put on a tuning reference, my ear training audio program, my music, my solo compas loops for flamenco, etc. GREAT all in one device. and it only cost me 30.

GEO

Post by GEO » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:58 am

I have a Franz quartz metronome. Works like a charm--nice volume adjust, big wheel for tempo, settings for all common time signatures...and runs forever on a single 9V battery. Has a flashing red light along with a nice and clear "click".

geo
(US) (GER) The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own - Disraeli

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:34 pm

at_leo_87 wrote: it's LOUD and has a nice staccato CLICK. it hurts my ears when i turn it up. i also put on a tuning reference, my ear training audio program, my music, my solo compas loops for flamenco, etc. GREAT all in one device. and it only cost me 30.
That's a very clever idea, at_leo_87! :D

Can you turn it up to 11? :lol:

Alan

at_leo_87

Post by at_leo_87 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:47 am

Tarbaby wrote:
Can you turn it up to 11? :lol:

Alan
well, the max is "40." lol.

Cuyler

Post by Cuyler » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:14 am

I get by with the metronome included in the Guitar Toolkit app for the iPhone/iPod Touch. It also includes a tuner and chord finder.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”