Which metronome?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
es335

Re: Which metronome?

Post by es335 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:06 am

I use the Korg KDM-2 which is an extra loud metronome for drummers with earphone jack, different click sounds (at least two acceptable ones), led indication, a tap control, up to 9/x measures and 10 different rhythm patterns ... BUT the main benefit of this metronome is that it is loud enough to being used in an ensemble. :)

On the other hand it can handle beats down to 30! This is important if you pratice with the metronome in the jazzy way, i.e. have it beat alla breve. Instead of being controlled every beat the metronome provides only every second beat thus forcing the player to find the right intermediate beats. This developes a nice "swinging feeling" without really (jazz) swinging, of course! This is even stronger provided the metronome plays the 2 and 4 of a 4/4 measure e.g. instead of the 1 and 3! Try it and you will be surprised how joyful practicing with a metronome can be! :wink:

Unfortunatelly the slow tempi are the weak side of the otherwise nicer mechanical metronomes. Their utimate bottom limit is 40 and they are usually very unstable in that range. :(

Cheers es335

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:14 am

I use Gtick an open source software metronome for Linux.

There's also a free online metronome I've used - http://www.metronomeonline.com

I always have the computer on so a software option is useful as well as cheap!

atza

Post by atza » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:46 am

or this one:
http://www.desktopmetronome.com/c5/inde ... metronome/
http://www.desktopmetronome.com/c5/inde ... roove_box/

Sometimes using drum pattern as a metronome makes you play more in time because you are naturally more likely to keep tempo with real drums than just clicks
(boring clicks can easily be dismissed by your brain after a while,on the other side drum bits are so tightly connected with real music that you keep tempo without even trying it consciously)

ralphed

Post by ralphed » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:59 pm

I know this is reviving a very old thread, but I just downloaded a free metronome software that works pretty well, I think. It's called TempoPerfect.
It has a list of types such as Largo and Andante with ranges and it's infinitely adjustable to 208 bpm. It looks like you can load your own custom sound bits and do some other custom thingies as well.

I think the software company is Australian, as the website end in .au.

Hope this helps someone,
ralphed

KeithD

Post by KeithD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:20 pm

For the iPhone and iPad I use the app TrueMetronome, which does have a (simulated!) sliding weight!

ralphed

Post by ralphed » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:56 pm

The Tempoperfect has a little ball that bounces back and forth like a pendulum, also. It kinda reminds me of the old sing-along cartoons back when I was a kid.

ralphed

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 pm

If you have an Android phone, then you have a choice of half-a-dozen free metronomes, at least two of which are pretty good.

fatwarry

Post by fatwarry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Which two do you think are worth looking at?
"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours" - Bob Dylan (1963)

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:01 pm

fatwarry wrote:Which two do you think are worth looking at?
I currently using Metronome Beats Pro. I was previously using Mobile Metronome. Neither is exactly what I would like, but Metronome Beats is, in my opinion, slightly better. Your needs, and your opinion, may differ.

I had a look at what is available on the Playstore because I couldn't remember the name of Mobile Metronome. It seems that when I said there were a choice of 'half-a-dozen' is was slightly under... there are at least 50! I certainly haven't tried all of them - life is too short - and there may well be better ones out there than MB.

fatwarry

Post by fatwarry » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks. I'll check out the ones you mention. As you say, life's too short to look at them all
"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours" - Bob Dylan (1963)

shira

Post by shira » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:18 am

I had a few metronome apps on the iphone but they would shut off halfway through my playing when the phone went to sleep. I'm sure there are apps that don't do that or I could just adjust the sleep time on settings but that would be a silly way around the problem.

a human

Post by a human » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:27 pm

If you have a smart phone, there are metronome apps available for cheap cheap with lots of bells and whistles.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 pm

I have a Wittner clockwork metronome shaped like an owl. I have to slide his bow tie to change tempo. My metronome only goes click (not twit-twoo) and not ding on varous beats as that would just annoy me.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Alicia wrote:I have a Wittner clockwork metronome shaped like an owl. I have to slide his bow tie to change tempo. My metronome only goes click (not twit-twoo) and not ding on varous beats as that would just annoy me.
That sounded intriguing, so I looked on the South American River site for Wittner Owl metronomes. I was astonished at how expensive they are!

I'll stick to my free electronic ones...

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:27 pm

I got mine half price from a shop which was closing down. Still expensive but I can justify this by being a music teacher - it gets a lot of use and it's a tax-deductible expense.

It could be a bad idea to go for an economy metronome. Sometimes pupils bring theirs to show me. The electronic ones are accurate but annoying. I've heard some bad wind-up ones though. Some have a lilt. They go " Tick....tock,tick.....tock,tick......" I avoid second hand for the same reason.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”