Can I transfer MD into MP3 files?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
ewok

Can I transfer MD into MP3 files?

Post by ewok » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 pm

I am using a MD (Mini Disk) recorder to record my live performance. Everything sounds fine, except I don't know whether and how I can download the recording to my computer.
Anybody knows how to do that?

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:25 am

Depending on the age/model of the MD, and the sound card you have on the computer, you can get the recordings on to your computer... but speaking frm personal experience, youu may be disappointed with the results... I had lots of trouble with line noise when I moved what sounded like excellent recordings on the MD (an older model, using line out>line in) I ultimately gave up trying... and have not tried again using a pre-amp, which may/may not solve the problem. IF you have optical out of the MD and optical in on your soundcard (mostly high end cards) all you will need is the proper cables and audio software like GoldWave. If you are using line out/ line in the signal may be relatively weak with a lot of hiss... give it a try, and let me know how it goes...

ewok

Post by ewok » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:41 am

Thanks!

My MD recorder is SHARP MD-MS721-S (about 6 years old!).
There's only optical line-in, no optical line-out on it.
Let me try and see how it works with my equipments.

horbquartag

compression?

Post by horbquartag » Mon May 22, 2006 9:58 am

what about compression within MD??
they do compress the data, it is not á regular .wav??

camytay

Post by camytay » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:05 pm

I record straight to my minidisc recorder because it is the only quiet piece of recording equipment I have. My computer is too noisy to be running while I record guitar. I get reasonable results by playing the MD recording over the analogue connector to my soundblaster soundcard.

Jelma

MD to computer

Post by Jelma » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:28 pm

Hi... I had some trouble with the same combination (older minidisk to computer). I recently bought a gadget called an iMic for about 39 euros. You can plug in any analog line like the 'line out' from your MD, and you plug the other end into your PC or Mac, in a USB port. I use it with a Mac with good results, but the specs say it should work with a PC as well. Maybe I can post some recordings later, and do let me know if you need the exact name etc. of the iMic. Best wishes, Jelma

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:36 pm

Thank you Jelma... that sounds very interesting.

Let us know how it goes... I am looking forward to hearing you.

Joerg

Post by Joerg » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:53 am

I'd like to hear it too, because I have the same problem. I recorrd with a Sharp MD conect it with the PC (line in) and have to record it on the PC again. Then I have the possibillty to burn a CD. I found that way is complicatad but it is cheap. Perhaps the iMic produces better quality.
Looking forward to your recordings.

Joerg

joel oporto

Post by joel oporto » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:11 pm

There shouldn't be any noise problems transferring from md to pc via soundcard even a $10 ESS one.

My guess is that your mic input is not muted in the pc. The PC mic inputs catch a lot electromagnetic noise from the pc themselves.
Been doing transferring for years starting from an old sharp to a sony USB where you can just drag and drop.

Check your wires and connections and soundcard settings.

Also md internal mics are very semsitive and catch a lot of noise that you might not hear through those small headphones.

amigo

Re: Can I transfer MD into MP3 files?

Post by amigo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:15 pm

ewok wrote:I am using a MD (Mini Disk) recorder to record my live performance. Everything sounds fine, except I don't know whether and how I can download the recording to my computer.
Anybody knows how to do that?
Hi,

try to use a Sony Hi-MD Walkman (like Sony MZ-NH600). With this Walkman it is possible to transmit the songs through usb.

Amigo

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”