Audio sample files

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Audio sample files

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:22 pm

The forum rules on audio sample files have recently been amended and they are now allowed under certain conditions. A new item, Section IVa, has been added to the rules. It reads as follows:
Members may post short audio files to demonstrate the sound of, or compare the sound between, different guitars, microphones, recording equipment, etc.
These files must be in WAV format at a sample rate of 44,100Hz, no bigger than 2.5 MB in size, and no more than 15 seconds in length. They are authorized in the "Classical guitar recording and amplification" forum and in the top level of the "Luthiers, Classical Guitar Makers" forum.

Where an audio sample is part of a piece of music, the message must contain the following details: the name of the composer, the title and, if the piece is copyrighted, the name of the publisher.

If the sample is taken from a CD, it is also compulsory to include the names of the performer(s) and the publisher of the CD.

Messages not fulfilling this legal requirement will be removed.
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Les Backshall
Luthier

Re: Audio sample files

Post by Les Backshall » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Geoff, do you think it would also make sense to be able to post such files on the 'guitars for sale' section?

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Let me think about that one, Les.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks, Geoff. There are a lot of uses for short samples. Will these samples have a shelf life (deleted after so many days/weeks/etc.)?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:22 pm

We hadn't particularly planned on that, Sean.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:27 pm

It might be an issue with memory way on down the road.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Maybe, though our current servers are not as restricting as the previous ones. It is something we can consider later though, depending on how widely the new possibility is taken up. Thanks, Sean.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Les Backshall wrote:Geoff, do you think it would also make sense to be able to post such files on the 'guitars for sale' section?

Les
Sorry, Les, I've asked and the answer to that one is no, the reason being that it is too easy for such files to be misleading, depending on various recording and other factors, and for an inferior guitar to sound better than it is.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:31 am

It came to our notice a few days ago that WAV files were still being rejected by the system settings, but M. Delcamp has now fixed the problem, so if anyone tried to upload an attachment earlier and failed, it is now worth trying again.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:59 am

GeoffB wrote:
Les Backshall wrote:Geoff, do you think it would also make sense to be able to post such files on the 'guitars for sale' section?

Les
Sorry, Les, I've asked and the answer to that one is no, the reason being that it is too easy for such files to be misleading, depending on various recording and other factors, and for an inferior guitar to sound better than it is.

Geoff
Yes, fair point. Thanks
Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

gabasa

Post by gabasa » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:08 am

Hi,

I have one more quick question. If I were to record a sound file comparing two different microphones, in 15 seconds that would mean 7.5 seconds per microphone. Are we allowed to upload more than one sample in one thread, for example three 15-second files for three different microphones?

I just wanted this clarified so that I don't break any rules in the future!

Thanks,
Gord

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:11 am

You can upload more than one 15 sec sample in the same post.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

fatwarry

Post by fatwarry » Tue May 14, 2013 5:52 pm

The first post says recordings should be placed in "Recording Classical Guitar". I can't find such a forum. Has it's name been changed (or have I just overlooked it)?
"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours" - Bob Dylan (1963)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue May 14, 2013 6:01 pm

You're right, the name was modified to "Classical guitar recording and amplification" -
viewforum.php?f=16

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll amend the first post and the relevant paragraph of the rules.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

fatwarry

Post by fatwarry » Tue May 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Geoff,
Thanks. I should have realised.

Anyway, what I want to do is post some samples to give people the opportunity to try for themselves to see if they can differentiate and original wav recording (something of my own to avoid copyright problems) from an mp3 version of the same piece.

The procedure I would adopt is to produce an mp3 copy of the original wav file and then convert it back to wav again so that I would have 2 wav files - the original and a wav copy of the mp3 version. This is primarily so that people can't tell which is which simply by looking at the file size but fortunately it also complies with the requirement to post 16/44.1 wav files. I would then post the original wav file and its wav/mp3/wav version on the forum so that people can listen to them and compare them. Actually I would post the original to act as a reference plus 3 copies of it and 3 copies of the wav/mp3/wav version so that people can get a reasonably statistically significant result from their comparisons (just comparing 2 files would produce a result no more accurate than just guessing correctly on the toss of a coin).

I'm happy that a 15 second sample would be enough for this purpose though there would be 7 copies of it. In fact a short sample will make the comparison exercise easier to conduct. Would this meet the "rules" for posting in this forum?
"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours" - Bob Dylan (1963)

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”