Audio sample files

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Audio sample files

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue May 14, 2013 7:42 pm

fatwarry wrote:Would this meet the "rules" for posting in this forum?

I don't see anything in your plan that would be contradictory to the rules, fatwarry. I'll look forward to testing my ears! :casque:

Alan

Andrew Pohlman

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Fri May 06, 2016 9:32 pm

May I ask if the 2.5 meg, 15 sec limit is still valid in 2016? Looks like the rule was established back in 2010. I'm trying to record microphone comparisons between a Rode M5 matched pair (24 bit, 44.1Khz) and a Blue Snowball (16 bit, 44.1Khz). I'm using Reaper.

For me, it is very difficult get meaningful samples within the size and time constraints. The simplest meaningful samples don't fit, emphasis on meaningful. For example, allowing the sustain/decay curve to continue until you hear the mic's noise floor is absolutely not doable, but is the kind of criteria that you really want to hear happening for mic evaluation.

With a typical modern storage array having multiple terabytes, I don't undertsand why are we limited to 2.5 Megs and 15 secs. Especially when other modes of submissions can be 10X those limits. Is there an issue here I just don't understand? Or is it time to reconsider the time and disk space limits for recording samples?
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Fri May 06, 2016 10:49 pm

The size has been raised to 3 MB, but the time limit remains. However, I see there is a slight discrepancy between the English and French forums on the latter, so I'll check with Mr. Delcamp when he next looks in (which may be a few days).

The extra issue you were wondering about is the need to restrict sample length when it comes to the highest quality sound recordings in order to comply with copyright rules on fair use, which are very stringent in France where the forum is hosted. You can find a summary of all the permissible file sizes here, which is updated whenever there is a change, as seen in Mr. Delcamp's follow-up posts there.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Mon May 09, 2016 7:23 am

Update: I checked with Mr. Delcamp and he has now increased the maximum time limit to 30 seconds. The rules have been updated accordingly.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”