Help with PreSonus Firebox and Cubase LE

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Jose-Guitarra8a

Help with PreSonus Firebox and Cubase LE

Post by Jose-Guitarra8a » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:39 am

Dear fellow CGist,

I have a PreSonus Firebox that came with Cubase LE. I also have a matched pair of Rode NT5 mics.

The problem that I have with the recording is that the sound is very bass focused or bassy.

I'm not familiar with the Cubase LE software to make the necessary adjustments.

Please provide any input.

Thanks in advance,
Jose

Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:31 pm

You might be experiencing what some articles I have read describe as "the proximity effect". The sound becomes boomier as you place the microphone closer to the source. I don't know how you are placing your microphones which is the first thing you might want to tells us. But for starters try placing the microphones further away. The acoustics of the room in which you are recording will affect the the sound so for those of us who record in our homes it is really a matter of trial and error until you find the set up that works for you. Of course acoustic treatment of the recording room you are using would be ideal.
This is a link to one of many articles you can find on the web.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/humbucker/acguitrectec.html

Cheers :D

horbquartag

Post by horbquartag » Mon May 22, 2006 10:21 am

that´s a very good article!!

Ted O'Farrell

Post by Ted O'Farrell » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:05 am

Thanks Bandersnatch for the link. It was an informative article.

tedguitar :)

jc2fingers

Post by jc2fingers » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:12 am

That's what I'm using, the on board effects and mixing capabilities are endless. I also bought a mid-range(price wise, under ?100.00) condenser mic which greatly improves the sound quality.
Question, do you know how to convert this type of file to mp3?

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”