Bose L-1 Compact System

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
ronjazz

Re: Bose L-1 Compact System

Post by ronjazz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:23 am

The Soloamp (Fishman) is pretty equivalent to the $1000 Bose system, although the Bose puts out more bass with it's sub-woofer. For those who want the ultimate, the original L1 and the L1 Model 2 have more inputs and EQs and power and speakers than the smaller one.

And if somebody wants to play bass through one, they will need to consider two sub-woofers and a bass processor pedal for modeling amplifiers and effects. While the Bose seems pricey, it is really very comparable to a standard mixer-amp-speakers-stands-wires-monitor system, and sets up or breaks down in minutes. It's also far more efficient in filling a larger room with a good, clean, clear sound without being overpoweringly loud.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Harry George Pellegrin

Post by Harry George Pellegrin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Update: A year later...

Still using the Bose and finding it very good. I did become tired of having my contact mic fall of the guitar plus the added joy of bringing an expensive hand-built instrument into a room full of inebriates so...... I tried out and finally bought a Yamaha SLG130NW. Three pluses -- it has built in eq (bass and treble) and reverb (two settings, both useable depending on size and dryness of the room), no contact mic to fall off mid-piece, and if someone sits on it, it would probably survive. Add to this the fact that it doesn't 'howl' when too close to the speakers and that it doens't sound all that much different than my good guitar with a piezo pickup setup, and I think I have a winner. Plus now all I grab is the Bose and the SLG. 30 lbs. -- ONE trip from the car, five minute (tops) setup. Good news for an old man. Also, if it were to be stolen, it wouldn't be the same hand-wringing heartbreak. Anyone else use the SLG130NW similarly???

Cheers,

Harry

nunosfr4

Post by nunosfr4 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:27 am

Hey everyone,

I gig actively at restaurants, weddings, receptions, etc. These discussions of the Bose L-1 have been extremely helpful, though I had a question: Which exact model are you referring to? I see there is a $1,000 & $2,000 model (the $3,000 is way more than I need). I have played a couple of receptions at big hotels here in the Chicago area and am really in need of something that would fill the sound with 250+ guests.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:27 am

Hi nunosfr4

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

Please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here to get a proper welcome.

See you.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Harry George Pellegrin

Post by Harry George Pellegrin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 pm

nunosfr4 wrote:Hey everyone,

I gig actively at restaurants, weddings, receptions, etc. These discussions of the Bose L-1 have been extremely helpful, though I had a question: Which exact model are you referring to? I see there is a $1,000 & $2,000 model (the $3,000 is way more than I need). I have played a couple of receptions at big hotels here in the Chicago area and am really in need of something that would fill the sound with 250+ guests.

I have the L-1 compact. (That's the one for around 1000 bucks -- I got it 'on sale' for 900. I have found that for the sound levels I need to generate, this system, which Bose rates for around 125 people, is adequate for larger venues. If I were using it for a spoken-word presentation, maybe it wouldn't be as good in larger settings. Example: I played a bridal expo at the Automobile Museum in Saratoga Springs. The room I was in was probably about 100 feet square with a fifty foot ceiling. My wife, a total stage mom, always walks to various corners of the room and signals if I am too loud, too soft, etc. Even with a talkative crowd, she was giving me the thumbs-up from all around the room.

My best advice is to see if you can borrow an L-1 Compact and try it out. It may be very suitable to your acclication.

Cheers,
Harry

nunosfr4

Post by nunosfr4 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Thank you so much for the input. I picked up the L1 Compact today and have 14 days to return it w/a full refund. I have 2 restaurant gigs & 2 corporate event gigs during that time frame, so I'll be able to give it a good test run. I've been mic'ing my guitar directly with a Shure KSM137 through a Fishman Loudbox Performer Combo Amp and I run an EV Powered Speaker out of one of the Fishman's DI outputs. It just doesn't seem to be enough for larger venues, though it's wonderful for small-medium sized ones.

I'll be giving the L1 a run through these next 2 weeks with multiple guitars, mic, & pickup configurations, and will check back.

Harry George Pellegrin

Post by Harry George Pellegrin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm

nunosfr4 wrote:I'll be giving the L1 a run through these next 2 weeks with multiple guitars, mic, & pickup configurations, and will check back.
I will be interested to compare notes! I have not tried the Bose with a non-contact mic in a room with conversation/drinking/etc. Please keep me posted!

:)

TsarL

Post by TsarL » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:42 pm

This sounds like an excellent system.

Harry George Pellegrin

Post by Harry George Pellegrin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:09 pm

I am now using the Bose with a Yamaha SLG130NW -- this is amazing for a coacktail party. No more risking an expensive instrument, no feedback, no contact mic on french polish and it sounds pretty darned good!

nunosfr4

Post by nunosfr4 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:28 pm

I've been using an Alhambra 8fp flamenco guitar, Bose L1 Compact, & a Kremona piezo pickup. I like this setup & it performs well, but am now quite curious about the Yamaha guitar that you mentioned, Harry...

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:41 pm

The Compact L1 is remarkable in its ease of use, volume and fidelity. I am currently using it with my 7-string classical guitar outfitted with RMC pickups,
and it sounds like a well-produced recording, with the use of the Zoom A2 processor for reverb and EQ. This is a 10-minute setup and breakdown as well,
an important consideration for those weekends when one might have 2 or 3 wedding ceremonies or receptions on one Saturday. Actually driving away from
the venue 15-20 minutes after finishing is amazing!

dogonjon

Post by dogonjon » Wed May 02, 2012 7:41 pm

One venue I play just got a Bose system. It was my first experience with it and it wasn't set up properly so I wasn't too impressed. The on board mixer was insufficient and difficult to change effect level and settings. Others who use this system tell me that they need another mixer for more input options and to adjust eq settings and add effects. I've always been wary of Boze products since the 70's. Their concept of "use more small speakers, over power the amps and hard wire eq to cover up the inadequacies of the speaker array" rails against the need to sculpt eq curves to the performance environment and reduces the point source nature of sound propagation. Arrays are prone to phase cancellation and phase shifting which introduces it's own effect which may not be the best if you want flat unprocessed sound. I think the reason people like the sound so much is that the array introduces it's own phase shift and early reflection delay as a function of the design of the speaker. It sounds good but it won't go away if you don't want that particular effect.

p_dmusic

Post by p_dmusic » Fri May 04, 2012 5:17 am

I tried this system out. It is actually a buddy of mine I asked him to borrow it and use it for a banquet I played for. Awesome little PA! Setup was quick and pretty easy one trip in one trip out. and the space it covered based on the people who attend were raving that the sound was heard in every corner but people were looking for monster speakers and cables laying over the floor. I was lucky to have my buddy run the bose one less thing for me to do, but I have to say it is a great answer for solo/duet gigs especially for CG.

dogonjon

Post by dogonjon » Sun May 20, 2012 7:29 am

I just played a wedding where my buddies band was using the bose system. At lower levels it was fine but when they kicked it up a notch for dancing the array couldn't keep up. The built in processing made an audible clip in the vocals trimming high end and compressing the midrange into poor quality. On break the backup band (some of the finest musicians in the world) expressed their disappointment to me and wished that they had hired me to so their sound with my PA like I did last night. The mixer provided only works with pre-programmed parameters and changing settings is cumbersome if not impossible to achieve during a performance. I won't be recommending this system to my home venue to replace me as a sound engineer even though the rep offered me a 'sweet deal'. I won't touch it. It's overpriced, lacks versatility and is difficult to tweak settings!

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Well, I can't blame you a bit for that review, but the fact is that a little homework goes an long way, and the Bose systems properly configured are more than adequate for most situations of up 250 people. It is, however, not magic. I have used 4 L1 systems to present a 7-piece swing/rock/pop dance band to a room of 2000 people and gotten excellent results, but if a good sound engineer with a good rig were available, I'd go in that direction. I always use my Bose Compact as my own monitor/amp, even in a full sound situation. It sounds to me like your friends tried to do too much with too little. I will take issue with your final sentence: it's priced fairly (the customer service is excellent as well), is extremely versatile, and is no more difficult to tweak than a standard three-way system. It just needs to be lived with and fully explored. And it pays for itself in return bookings and also in the time it takes to set up and break down, allowing for doubles and triples for the player/owner.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”