What Do the Pro's Do

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Hybrid

Post by Hybrid » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:18 pm

Hey, cool, i guess nobody really needs to practice anymore.

You can just edit each note in, and there ya go.

What a relief!

Now i can make an album, and still study for that law degree ive
been wanting. :wink:
H

gsilvergran

Post by gsilvergran » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:11 am

Hey, I didn´t say I liked that way of doing it. It´s just what they do....

I´d rather listen to live CG anyway....

joel oporto

Post by joel oporto » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:59 am

As Jwaudio said there are those who do object to edits on philosophical grounds, but to most pros especially on the classic side there are those who do edit on just a few notes and some even keep those mistakes in for a more honest performance. It is all up to the artist really. Even in Segovia's recording of Chaconne, the second part(major) is cleary a different take from the first minor part, but it doesn't take away anything from the performance and is indeed one of the recordings that guide our playing of that piece of music.

gsilvergran

Post by gsilvergran » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:21 pm

Nah....Segovia....a bit overrated isn´t he?

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:27 pm

Well, I'm definitely not a pro. And I'm not above combining more than one take to make a complete recording. But I usually try to record an entire section at a time, not just one phrase, and I certainly have never punched in just one note!

There are practical reasons for this. Starting a new take at the beginning of a section makes for a seamless transition. I try to make my entrances in real time. I listen to the previous section thru the headphones and come in when it "feels" right. I would do the same for any subsequent takes, playing from where I left off and continuing to the end. In other words, I never try to punch in a section in the middle after I have already recorded the later sections.

This way, at least I'm not trying to adjust the timing after recording. And I don't have to deal with unnatural sounding attack envelopes or notes overlapping or getting chopped off early. If the entrances are good, it's nearly impossible to hear the transition from one take to the next.

Paul Heilker

Post by Paul Heilker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:34 am

The words "perfect" and "perfection" show up a lot in this thread. That makes me nervous -- for all of us, not just me.

The pursuit of excellence is noble. The pursuit of perfection is neurotic.

PH

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”