Mic advice please!

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
rojarosguitar

Re: Mic advice please!

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:41 am

Well, then I probabely would make use of a multiband compressor to tame the bass E a little bit in that place :mrgreen: it's slightly out of proportion...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

sax512

Post by sax512 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:15 pm

I understand, but that would defy the purpose of trying to recreate the performance the way it sounds to the spectator in the audience. I try to stay away from compression as much as I can.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Sure, it wasn't serious ... but, in a way, a manual level ride (automated in the DAW) could remove the impression of artificiality ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

sax512

Post by sax512 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes, sometimes what you hear in reality is not what you expect to hear or want to hear on a recording.

sax512

Post by sax512 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm back at it after quite some time of being inactive. Different microphone this time (quasi-binaural), as my other one is being upgraded/dismantled.
I made this Christmas recording about two months ago. Here is one song. You can find the others on YouTube as well. Hope you enjoy it, and if that's the case please consider buying it on iTunes. As full disclosure, I don't make any money if you do, but Adam is a good friend of mine..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGPNZCuso7k

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:54 pm

I know I'm way late to this thread, but you might find this article helpful (if you have not already seen it):
http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/r ... l/162.html

It differs fairly widely from recording steel string acoustics with the classic set up of a mic on the neck and one over the sound hole. I also find it painfully humorous that he says "inexpensive" mics are in the range of $300 each...
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:02 pm

It's nice general overview of recording techniques in that article. The devil is in the detail. As my recent experiments show, you can have excellent results with a pair of condenser mics under 200 Euro (pair!). Well, you can have very good results with almost any up-to-date equipment I can think of (and I'm saying this having a lots of HQ stuff). The most important thing is to be resourceful with the circumstances and ressources you have and not to commit avoidable mistakes concerning player and mic position in the room.

For good result you need some patient experimentation, which is more important than the $$ you invest in equipment which you don't know to put to good use. Of course you will find that there is always room for improvement!

sax512

Post by sax512 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:03 pm

What is good about binaural recordings in my opinion is the good mono compatibility (tried it with full orchestra too, for full spectrum music. I couldn't detect any relevant cancellation).
Another thing that isn't usually mentioned is that by the nature of the technique, especially if you use ear canal replicas instead of just the outer ear, the S/N ratio gets increased by the amount of gain introduced by the frequency response of the ear/canal combination.
We are talking about 15-20 dB increase or more of S/N Ratio, A-weighted.
This lets you use smaller capsules with worse SNR but flatter frequency response.

My custom made binaural microphone is finally ready after more than a year in the makings.
This time it went under a full restoration, with better capsules, better preamps and most importantly, a new set of ears, with anatomically accurate ear canal replicas, which is something that not even the Neumann KU 100 has.
I'll post results when I get a chance to record something.

sax512

Post by sax512 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:16 pm

If somebody is interested in building their own binaural microphone, please consider taking a look at my ear models.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/binaura ... phone-ears

neil

Post by neil » Mon May 29, 2017 8:05 pm

I record with an Audio Technica 4040 with a preamp great river and the sound is clear and very precise. SE make some good mic too. Aston are really good and not expensive. I would like to buy one.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”