Bartlett Guitar Mic

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
brian

Bartlett Guitar Mic

Post by brian » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:27 am

I bought one of these the other day.
service was excellent, shipping was
very fast, and when I had a few technical
questions, mr. bartlett himself returned
my call and answered all of them in
detail.
the mic itself is very small, clips on the
sound hole(leaves no mark) and is absolutely
crystal clear in its performance. it just
amplified the sound of my guitar exactly.
no coloration at all, no boomy-ness whatsoever.
i used it live for the first time and it
performed like a champ. I could crank the
amp way further than I could when using my
shure sm mic before feedback. a volume
I would never need btw. no clutter anymore
and a very clean look. I can't recommend this
product enough. made in USA.
the answer to my gigging prayers!! :chitarrista:
brian
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

Nigel Jones

Re: Bartlett Guitar Mic

Post by Nigel Jones » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 am

Nice review Brian,
I have been using the Bartlett Mic Pro B for about 18 months and have to agree this is a quality product for anyone looking for a pure and natural reproduction of guitar sound. I play flamenco as well as Classical and have used the mic for live shows with dancers and have to say even at high volumes these mics perform well. Unlike many other mics I've tried which are prone to feedback issues. Definitely the best and cleanest amplified sound I've ever had. I have used mine through an AER amp and am now using a Fishmann Solo.

JohnS

Post by JohnS » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Brian and Nigel,

Good to hear about the Bartlett Guitar Mic B indeed! I have one too and have been using it for about 6 months now. I'm currently learning to play Flamenco and perform live every now and then playing different styles with (hopefully) some hints of flamenco every now and then.

I've used the mic with different PA systems and recently also with a Bose L1 Compact system. I did have some issues with feedback actually but it probably has to do with my positioning relatively to the speaker's position. I don't have a lot of experience with that yet.

Yesterday I actually played some latin music with a keyboard player, a singer and a percussionist (conga's, cajon etc.). I used the L1 Compact system and had it placed behind me (6 ft) and off to the left (6 ft). I needed to do this to have some monitor sound for on stage and for the other band members as well. Maybe it was because we played a bit too loud but I could not turn up the volume of my mic loud enough without getting feedback in the lows. The bass I already took out completely from the Bose system.

I still have to experiment with different positioning of myself and the speaker system to see what works of course. As I don't know very much about this yet (apart from these experiences) I have some questions:

What positioning do you use when playing live?

Nigel, I've been reading a lot about the Fishman and I'm curious: how does the Fishman SoloAmp sound and how do you position it when playing live? You think it's better then the Bose with regard to feedback prevention due to the settings built into the Fishman?

Do you use any settings of mixers to reduce chance on feedback like compressor/EQ etc.)

I plugged in directly into the Bose but I think it would probably help to have a small mixer with some settings I can adjust to fight the feedback trigger, right?

Anyway, thanks for your comments/tips in advance!

Cheers!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi John, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Robin

Post by Robin » Sun May 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for the recommendation for this mic. I bought it to use for playing at outside events. I just got it last week and used it for the first time yesterday. I had no trouble with feedback but I did have interference with the mic chord. The way it looped back out of the sound hole, it kept interfering with strings. It took me awhile to discover that if I looped the wire from the mic back through the clip, it comes out alittle flatter and further from the strings. On the picture diagram in the instructions, they show the mic placed by the bass strings but if I place the mic by the trebles, I can run the chord under the "waist" of the guitar, behind and to the box rather than looping around the bout. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the sound quality as to where the mic is placed. I have to experiment with that yet--but first I had to get the chord out of the way!

Robin
So much music, so little time.

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:51 pm

I just bought one of these a few days ago based on great reviews I have seen around the net. So far my thoughts have been mixed but overall I am pleased. I got the Bartlett Guitar Mic B, the one with a loose battery pack.

The good: It sounds better than a pickup and can get louder than a regular mic before feedback. It can be switched between guitars and doesn't require any modifications.

The bad: Takes a bit of tweaking to get it to sound good, it's basic tone is a hollow/ringing sound even in the best position. The metal clip with a supposed rubberized coating needs more rubber on it. It scratches a french polish guitar easily and doesn't hold firmly enough to keep the mic from rattling, which can end up sounding distorted. It still won't be loud enough to play in a band type situation, like with drums or other loud instruments.

In the end, the recommendations in the literature for getting the best sound seemed pretty good. I tried lots of positions on the guitar and settings on the PA till I got it to sound decent. Just sticking it on and plugging in made for a rather harsh hollow sound until I tried the recommended EQ settings of a cut in the 300 range and cuts in the 2.5k-6k range along with an over all bringing down the bass. I solved the rattling problem by wrapping a rubber band around the clip.

I bought the Bartlett for situations where a regular mic doesn't provide enough volume before feedback. I cannot stand pickups in classical guitars so that hasn't been a viable option for me. I wouldn't use it in every situation, amplifying a classical guitar is always a compromise. Not every amplifier has a good EQ section so you may not be able to tweak out the hollow ringing sound. Overall I think it is the best solution to the amplification problem in noisy environments, for me at least. I would still use a regular mic in lower volume situations.

Edit: I had a couple of email exchanges with the owner concerning the problems with the clip. I think the problem is that most handmade classicals have a thinner top than the average factory guitar. He suggested gluing felt to the clip, then volunteered to send me a clip with felt glued on. That's pretty great customer service in my book.

I have also had time to play more with EQ settings and am getting a good sound. A mic'ed guitar is never going to sound like a natural guitar, but the Bartlett sounds musical and fills a role that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:48 pm

I thought I would update this thread with a some actual real world experiences. Again I wouldn't use the Bartlett if a regular mic setup would do the trick, but in certain situations it really is a good solution. I had tried the Bartlett a while back for a Christmas event and tried mixing with a regular mic with not so good results we were getting feedback and the sound was too hard to dial in. But, this last weekend I used it at an outdoor event and a regular mic wouldn't have worked, first off it was windy so the mic was picking up too much wind noise, and it just wasn't loud enough. So I pulled out the Bartlett and it sounded wonderful, the gig would have been a failure without it. It seems outdoors the hollowish sound kind of goes away, but you do have to tweak the EQ to get it sounding right.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat May 18, 2013 6:20 pm

A small, high-quality mixer with effects built-in will solve most of the problems of the Bartlett and other mics. At least 3 bands of EQ are necessary, and a movable Q if possible. Having said that, the Kremona pickup, which slides under the strings on the bridge, works very well, and when paired with an acoustic processor like the Zoom A2, sounds really very good.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

p_dmusic

Post by p_dmusic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Do you think you could use the barlett guitar mics with those sound hole covers (planet waves screeching halt) and receive improved results?

pringipas

Post by pringipas » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:45 pm

ronjazz wrote:A small, high-quality mixer with effects built-in will solve most of the problems of the Bartlett and other mics. At least 3 bands of EQ are necessary, and a movable Q if possible. Having said that, the Kremona pickup, which slides under the strings on the bridge, works very well, and when paired with an acoustic processor like the Zoom A2, sounds really very good.
hi, I hope someone replies at this reply,

I am planning on buying the bartlett mic B, but having read your post, it looks like I will need more equipment than that to get the right sound. I play classical guitar and I need it to record and also perform at band gigs. I also move alot when I perform with the guitar.

Is the following equipment that go with it mic going to help me get a better sound?

- Kremona pickup
- Zoom A2

thanks in advance

brian

Post by brian » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:24 pm

don't know if this will help,
but the Carvin acoustic amp i use
has a 5-band EQ, which can help
isolate a feedback frequency.
also, if you are just too close to
the amp and are feeding back, you
can run through a mic preamp, and
because this has a separate volume,
you can set the amp up further away
and adjust the volume through the preamp.
between the 5 band eq and the seperate
preamp, i can go really loud with a clean
neutral sound.
then quit.
-w.c. fields

pringipas

Post by pringipas » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:13 pm

brian wrote:don't know if this will help,
but the Carvin acoustic amp i use
has a 5-band EQ, which can help
isolate a feedback frequency.
also, if you are just too close to
the amp and are feeding back, you
can run through a mic preamp, and
because this has a separate volume,
you can set the amp up further away
and adjust the volume through the preamp.
between the 5 band eq and the seperate
preamp, i can go really loud with a clean
neutral sound.
Hi Brian, thank you for the reply, what exactly is the name of the carvin acoustic amp? I am trying to google it and it shows me several types.
Last edited by pringipas on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brian

Post by brian » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:21 pm

its the AG100D.
but i just had a look ar the site
and it looks like they've got two
new models? hope they're not discontinuing mine. that 5 band eg isn't on the new ones
it looks like. hmmmm.....
sorry man!
then quit.
-w.c. fields

brian

Post by brian » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:25 pm

my mistake, the AG100D is still available.
then quit.
-w.c. fields

pringipas

Post by pringipas » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks Brian, I will look into it :-)

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”