Laptop recording - M-Audio premobile or E-MU 16/16m ??

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
masoroso

Laptop recording - M-Audio premobile or E-MU 16/16m ??

Post by masoroso » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:28 am

Hi all,

I am looking for a more mobile recording solution. My current setup is a Samson C01 condensator mic > Yamaha mixer > MAudio Audiophile 24/96 which gives excellent recordings apart from the noise the computer and street generates.

Now I want to use my laptop for recording and I am looking for a USB / Firewire solution. So far I am looking at two options

`cheep'
M-Audio permobile. USB solution, max 16bit and 48kHz
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/M ... -main.html
It contains a pre amp for my mic so that's ok but I am concerned about the recording qaulity compared to my current setup

`expensive'
EMU 16/16m
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp ... duct=13552

Looks great, the samples sound great but it is quite expensive in comparison to the M-Audio.

Which one would you prefer. I want to be able to record a CD in a least a decent quality without too much hiss.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

alter Ton

Post by alter Ton » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:03 pm

Of the two I would go with the M-Audio. The EMU seems to have a lot of things that you don't need (but you would be paying for) if your mainly interested in stereo recordings of guitar. Both are capable of CD quality recording (44.1khz 16 bit stereo).

Just thought I would mention this since you say you want USB/Firewire: the EMU 16/16m is not a USB interface, it is PCMCIA Type II. Yes it wil work with your laptop, (all laptops come with such an interface), but only your laptop unless you have a PCMCIA reader for you computer. Because of that, you can't switch the interface back and forth from laptop to computer. That would be a deal-killer for me, but I don't know how important that is to you.

masoroso

Post by masoroso » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:42 pm

thanks `ton', that was also something that came to mind (the load of inputs on the EMU which I will probably never use)

I just went out and bought me a Alesis io|2 . It was about as expensive / cheap :-) as the M-Audio Mobilepre (which wasn't available at the moment) and it had exactly what I needed (2 XLR inputs and a preamp) and even a bit more (24 / 96 like my audiophile instead of the 16/48 of the mobile pre). I just tried to record something and it sounds very clear so at least I will now get rid of the hiss of the desktop pc :applauso:

I will compare my recording with the old audiophile 24/96 ones and see if I can hear a difference (apart from the lack of hiss). It looks like a good step forward for my home studio. If all is well I will buy a studio project b1 mic and then my mobile home studio will be complete :cornet:

Thanks for the advice :!:

joel oporto

Post by joel oporto » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:17 am

In terms of audio quality, the Emu range of audio interfaces are so much better than the M-audio. It employs the same A/D converters as the top-of-the-line digi002 interfaces of digidesign and pro tools. But as you might not need a lot of the features offered another product might be appropriate for you like the presonus inspire and presonus firebox which have excellent preamps and A/D converters. The M-audio would be my last choice in that bunch.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”