best nonintrusive pickup for classical guitar

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
serenadesix

best nonintrusive pickup for classical guitar

Postby serenadesix » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:46 pm

I would like your recommendations on the best pickup for an expensive classical guitar, that does not require drillings, using a new bridge or any adhesive material that would ruin the finish of the guitar.
One I came across was made by Schatten out of Canada, they use a putty type system that easily comes off allegedly without any marks on the guitar, and can be taken off after the performance requiring amplication easily. I don't want anything permanent on the guitar or anything where the cables are in the way of playing or can scratch the guitar

I am using a Pa system now, miking the guitar, but I often get feedback when the necessary volume is increased. I am not sure if using a preamp would help, or if this is a better way of positioning the speakers. I want to be able to adjust the treble and bass to have the sound be as natural to the guitar as possible.
thank you Ray

eyedoc

Re: best nonintrusive pickup for classical guitar

Postby eyedoc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:43 am

Bartlet clip on mic
I have two, doesn't damage the guitar, amazing sound,
Have put it on 10K guitars.
Get the one that requires phantom power, as I have both types. $190 each.
Killer,
Ron

serenadesix

Postby serenadesix » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Ron, thank you Ive been searching for some time . I called Barlett and they explained how it has a felt wrap around clip to prevent damage, and ordered it. . DO you use the second clip or do you let it hang down? Ray in NJ

eyedoc

Postby eyedoc » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:48 am

I don't use the second clip, it works fine without it. You will find the sound great! No damage to the guitar what so ever.
Ron

igycrctl

Postby igycrctl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:45 am

I like the Kremona NG-1. It is a piezo pickup that goes under the strings at the tie block.

Blondie

Postby Blondie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:50 am

Another internal mic option is the Miniflex model 2. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP56OuCCXuQ
(He's a Delcamp member)

That's a very smooth plugged in sound IMO (no EQ too, pretty impressive).

Generally speaking, internal mics will give you more feedback problems live than external mics and a preamp with good EQ is essential to control problem frequencies and shape the tone (internal mics tend to have a boxy, honky mid range sound to them). Both the Bartlett and the MIniflex are good, and are designed to avoid these issues but there's only so much you can avoid these issues :) Having said that, Ken doesn't seem to have that honky sound at all in the above clip.

For an external clip on solution the best on the market is the DPA 4099. I have one and I have also had a Miniflex.

The one thing I just can't get used to with mics that temporarily attach (internally or externally) is the trailing cables, built in preamps which dangle in the way or go in your pocket etc. And at high volumes (eg weddings outdoors, guests dispersed and background noise) they will never cut it. You don't mention the environments(s) you need this for, which is a big issue. Everyone who plays live wants a natural sound, no one wants to modify an expensive guitar. If you will be playing in noisy environments, or a wide variety of environments even, you quickly discover the need to compromise.

serenadesix

Postby serenadesix » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:06 pm

thanks everyone. I will have to try he Bartlett out in the outdoors environment where its a large patio , and also in a more noisy indoor setting with crowd noise. I am reluctant to use the Miniflex model 2 as it appears it would compromise the guitar with installing, if the Barlett does not suffice I will try the Kremona which I have seen the video. Is there any kind of wireless system with either using an under the saddle or Barlet type where I can avoid cables?
Otherwise what is suggested ( type of mic and system,etc ?

Blondie

Postby Blondie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:20 pm

serenadesix wrote: I am reluctant to use the Miniflex model 2 as it appears it would compromise the guitar with installing,

In what way?

Larryb

Postby Larryb » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:44 am

eyedoc wrote:Bartlet clip on mic
I have two, doesn't damage the guitar, amazing sound,
Have put it on 10K guitars.
Get the one that requires phantom power, as I have both types. $190 each.
Killer,
Ron

Hi Ron,
I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a Bartlett mic (passive) to play with my very high end crossover nylon string. It's good at low volumes, but when i give it some volume, it gets a little boxy and really loses the wonderful tone of this spectacular guitar. I noticed that you have one and that you use the Zoom A3 pre-amp. Can you tell me a little more about the difference you experienced with the Bartlett before and after using the Zoom? Does the Zoom really make a big difference with this mic? I know you've got the B mic, but I suspect that the difference between the A and B might not be that dramatic. I have a Henriksen Bud amp.

Would love to hear your thoughts and get your advice on this. I don't want to plunk down the money for the Zoom without really investigating it further.

Larry

gasman

Postby gasman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:33 pm

I use scheklter dyn-G

gasman

Postby gasman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:34 pm

I use scheklter dyn-G

eyedoc

Postby eyedoc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi,
I actually have two Bartlett pickups. The one I prefer requires the phantom power, and matches superbly with the Aero 50 plus amp from Germany.. It also works well with the Fishman loud box 60, but has more feedback problems.
Ron

Larryb

Postby Larryb » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:26 am

eyedoc wrote:Hi,
I actually have two Bartlett pickups. The one I prefer requires the phantom power, and matches superbly with the Aero 50 plus amp from Germany.. It also works well with the Fishman loud box 60, but has more feedback problems.
Ron

Do you use any sort of pre-amp with it, or straight to your amplifier? What kind of guitar are you using the one that requires phantom power with? Do you have to do much EQing to get it to sound how you like?

thanks.

eyedoc

Postby eyedoc » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:01 am

Hi,
No pre-amp because the phantom power serves that purpose. Minimal EQ needed, very natural sound. I use several of my concert classicals, most recently my GV Rubio Solists,
Ron

bchi123

Postby bchi123 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:11 am

I've been having a good amount of success with a Bartlett mic blended with my classicals onboard eq (Yamaha NCX900fm). It sounds pretty natural to me.
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”