Aguado, Dionisio - Lesson No. 24

Audio and video recordings of classical music (1760-1850, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli). Your own interpretations of music that is in the public domain.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
or Mozart, W. A. - K545 Sonata, Allegro - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Au Clair de la Lune - D01 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048).
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
tateharmann

Re: Aguado, Dionisio - Lesson No. 24

Post by tateharmann » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Certainly, and out of curiosity is the recording by Segovia mentioned above a well established 3/8 rhythm? If not, maybe you could point me to a good example. Thanks!
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:35 am

tateharmann wrote:Certainly, and out of curiosity is the recording by Segovia mentioned above a well established 3/8 rhythm? If not, maybe you could point me to a good example. Thanks!
This example has a well established 3/8 rhythm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd55o6bCg5Y

This example is played faster than you play it but it will give you a good idea of what Yisrael is referring to. When you listen to it, may I encourage you to count out the beat (i.e. 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3) as this will help you identify the 3/8 (waltz) rhythm.
Last edited by Paul Janssen on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:57 am

Ok thx Paul. And on the waltz rhythm the 1st beat is accented, right??

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 am

Yes, usually the first beat is the strong beat. However, with a piece like this I think it's more important to bring out the melody line. Certainly in the edition that I'm working from most of the notes in the melody line are accented.

B.t.w. thanks again for introducing me to this piece. I'm having a lot of fun learning this.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 am

Yea no problem! Thanks to you and Yisrael for help with rhythm. That's something I've been meaning to delve into and get better at.

For me, the hardest part of sight-reading is the rhythm :/

And, good tone is something that I constantly work on because I enjoy it. I often sit for endless minutes just plucking at the strings trying to get the best sound.

But what I really should be doing is practicing with a metronome! ! Lol

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:59 pm

tateharmann wrote:For me, the hardest part of sight-reading is the rhythm :/
Tate,
Practicing with the metronome is a question of getting into the habit. Start with the easiest piece there is (Sor Opus 60 #1) and play it with the metronome. Playing with a metronome is the same as playing with another instrument. You MUST keep accurate time to stay with the metronome. The first few times it is hard. Start at a slow tempo, and just practice playing exactly in synch with the metronome. This requires you to keep time carefully to anticipate the metronome.
As for learning to play a piece in time, I suggest you start this way: mark in the manuscript (NO, terrible idea…in a copy of the manuscript) each beat in the measure. Mark the note on which the first beat falls with double quotes ("). Mark the notes on which the second beat and the third beat fall with single quotes ('). Now, play only the melody with a pronounced Um - pa - pa rhythm (this is a waltz). Play with the metronome. Learn the melody alone well with the metronome. Use a pronounced (exaggerated) rhythm. Anything that you try to express or convey from the stage always needs to be somewhat larger than life. When you have finished that, you can add the other parts. I hope this will help you overcome the rhythm issue in one lesson.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:05 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:I hope this will help you overcome the rhythm issue in one lesson.
That would be a miracle! haha

Seriously though, this is great advice. I'll dust off Sor's Op. 60 No. 1 today and give your advice a try. Thanks!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:00 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:Practicing with the metronome is a question of getting into the habit. Start with the easiest piece there is (Sor Opus 60 #1) and play it with the metronome.
OK, so I took your advice (and Paul's too) and I did play Sor's Opus 60 #1 with the metronome that was collecting dust in my closet haha. And tonight, I practiced this piece by Aguado again with the metronome for a while and redid the recording. Here are the fruits of my labor on the same guitar with the same strings and the same fingertips only technique. What do you think? Better, worse, same?

To me I feel like it's definitely more rhythmic but there are still a few hesitations. Thanks for listening!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:36 am

:bravo: This sounds so beautiful and I like the pace of it too! :merci:

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks! I guess the metronome serves a purpose after all haha :)

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:26 pm

tateharmann wrote:What do you think? Better, worse, same? To me I feel like it's definitely more rhythmic but there are still a few hesitations. Thanks for listening!
Rhythm is much improved. Sounds like you overcame the problem in one lesson. But do not stop playing with the metronome. There is some very small shifts in rhythm. Some of them may have to do with insecurity with playing the notes. That comes by itself over time, if you keep practicing and using the metronome. You are well on your way. Tone is as exquisite as ever.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:04 am

Thanks Yisrael! Yes, I will keep practicing with the dreaded metronome hahahaha :)

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:51 pm

tateharmann wrote:And, good tone is something that I constantly work on because I enjoy it. I often sit for endless minutes just plucking at the strings trying to get the best sound.
Listening to that recording... plus the fact I have just got hold of a proper guitar... has really made me want to work on my tone. Do you literally just pluck at the strings and see what works, or is there more of a system in place? I found a guitar transcription of Satie's Gymnopédie No 1 online - it's nice and slow and easy to play, with lots of chords that ring on and really benefit from a beautiful tone... plus there's the chance to try and give the melody a different colour from the accompaniment. So I kinda have a plan, but since whatever you're doing clearly works, I'd like to try that too!

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Such a lovely no-nails sound! The rhythm goes well in the second version. I should too take my metronome out of the closet and put it in active use!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:23 am

Mr Kite wrote: Do you literally just pluck at the strings and see what works, or is there more of a system in place?
Not exactly, I mean, I guess it's a combination of that (trial and error) and following principles as set out by flesh players in their methods like F. Sor and E. Pujol.

Tone is something that just comes naturally over time I guess...rhythm, not so much haha (at least for me.)

Anyways, thank you both for the comments!

Return to “Our recordings of Classical music”