Aguado, Dionisio - Lesson No. 24

Audio and video recordings of classical music (1760-1850, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli). Your own interpretations of music that is in the public domain.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
or Mozart, W. A. - K545 Sonata, Allegro - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Au Clair de la Lune - D01 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048).
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
tateharmann

Aguado, Dionisio - Lesson No. 24

Post by tateharmann » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:46 pm

Here's the sound on an Antonio Aparicio strung up with low tension Savarez rectified trebles/white card basses and playing with the fingertips only (no nails).

UPDATE 01.12.17 - New recording..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tateharmann on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Musicguy1515

Re: Aguado, Dionisio - Lesson No. 24

Post by Musicguy1515 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Hello,
You have a really good tone, and I enjoy your interpretation. The only thing I would say about your performance is that the tempo is really slow. Were you planning on speeding it up?
Try listening to this version played by Segovia and see how you like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7OSML9haKQ
As there is no tempo indication on this piece, it is ultimately up to your own interpretation.
Other than that, your tone sounds beautiful.

Thanks!
Musicguy1515

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:06 pm

Yes, this is definitely on the slow side. I recorded it with faster tempo also but didn't like the tone as much as this one. Thanks for the comments!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:10 pm

Tate always drives in the slow lane, and why not? You get to see the landscape much better, and life is generally less stressful that way. Nice one, Tate!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:17 pm

I played a little faster (albeit still slow lol) when I was playing with nails. I recorded this same lesson on the same guitar about a year and half ago with nails...I'll see if I can dig it up.

Thanks though, Rob!

Also, I like Segovia's interpretation a lot...but it's so distracting how out of tune or poorly intonated his guitar is. I realize that this is bordering on sacrilege but it's just what I hear haha!

Musicguy1515

Post by Musicguy1515 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:38 pm

I will agree that Segovia's tone and intonation is usually not that great. I have heard recording where his guitar is clearly not in tune. I thought your tone on the recording was excellent, even without nails. I will also say, that had I not heard this piece before, I would say that your interpretation sounded good. That is definitely a compliment on your playing! :bravo:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:12 pm

"even without nails". LOL. You meant to say, "because you play without nails" :-)

Musicguy1515

Post by Musicguy1515 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Tate,
I would like to hear that version with your nails. I think it would be good to compare them and see what sounds better: with nails or without. :D Lets settle this debate! :lol:

Thanks!
Musicguy1515

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:35 pm

Well, I imagine they both sound good.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:33 am

I really like the low tension strings. I may go there!!
Hauser III 2014!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:56 am

Man, I can't find that older recording! I hope it wasn't deleted by 'accident' haha.

Anyways - I did some other comparisons between fingernail and fingertip playing here: https://soundcloud.com/laguitarraclasic ... nido-en-la

It's not a very conclusive experiment, though. It's the same guitar and same recording setup, but the fingertip playing was done on real gut strings tuned down a semitone.

And, also, like I told Rob - I played for nearly 20 years with nails while I've only been playing with my fingertips for a little over a year. So, in that regard it's not really a fair comparison either.

Jack - I love low tension strings. I don't think I'd ever go back!

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:20 am

tateharmann wrote:Here's the sound on an Antonio Aparicio strung up with low tension Savarez rectified trebles/white card basses and playing with the fingertips only (no nails).
Hi, Tate. Tone is absolutely exquisite. Beautifully done. However, the timing is very uneven. Some measures even have four beats. That ruins the rhythm of the piece. I suggest you practice with a metronome and record again. If you correct the rhythm, it is going to be an awesome recording.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:27 pm

I agree with what others have said about your tone - it's delicious!! I have this piece in a collection of studies by Aguado that I have hardly looked at. I think I will make this the next piece I learn. Thanks for sharing.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for the comments, gents!

Yisrael, yours is certainly a true observation. Rhythm never has been my strong suit :/

But, that's great advice...I'll practice with a metronome, and it seems like the general consensus is that this should be played a bit faster.

So, back to the drawing board! haha

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:40 pm

tateharmann wrote:But, that's great advice...I'll practice with a metronome, and it seems like the general consensus is that this should be played a bit faster.
Tate,
If you have patience for one more comment, I would say, first establish a strong, even, 3/8 rhythm, one strong beat per measure. Then you can adjust the speed, if you like.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Return to “Our recordings of Classical music”