Aguado, Dionisio - Lesson No. 24

Audio and video recordings of classical music (1760-1850, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli). Your own interpretations of music that is in the public domain.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
or Mozart, W. A. - K545 Sonata, Allegro - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Au Clair de la Lune - D01 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048).
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Mr Kite

Re: Aguado, Dionisio - Lesson No. 24

Post by Mr Kite » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:10 am

Patience is the key then. Just like Tigress said in Kung Fu Panda 2. Tigress is always right. I hesitate over the nails thing because I would like to play piano too, plus nails are really inconvenient in everyday life... but the recording artists I admire most have nails, so that's my model.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:21 am

Yes! Patience is perhaps the most important quality when learning...well...pretty much anything lol.

Yes, if you want to have tone that sounds similar to the recordings you hear, nails are probably a good starting point. Keep in mind however, that variations of nail shaping exist and can render different sound nuances. David Russell, for example, uses long ramped nails while John Williams uses shorter nails that are rounded (unless he's recently changed something).

Point is, not all nails are created equal and that's one of the reasons why not all artists sound the same. Not all fingertips are created equal either so the sound can change quite a lot even within circles of no nails players. Find what works for you and seek out your sound :)

Remember that really beautiful sounds can be achieved without nails - check out some lutenists for proof. And whatever you do, have fun!
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"Never practise softly. " - Ernest Shand, op. 100

UnstoppableGuitar

Post by UnstoppableGuitar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:09 pm

very expressive, very melodic and very coloured. Thanks
guiannini cadiz gwnc 3 1991

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:51 am

Obrigado! :)