Gow, Neil - Lament for the Death of His Second Wife

Audio and video recordings of classical music (1760-1850, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli). Your own interpretations of music that is in the public domain.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
or Mozart, W. A. - K545 Sonata, Allegro - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Au Clair de la Lune - D01 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048).
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Kenbobpdx

Gow, Neil - Lament for the Death of His Second Wife

Postby Kenbobpdx » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 am

Gow Lament.mp3

This is my first time posting a recording on the forum. The transcription is by the forum's own cookie (David Crooks) and has been recorded previously by figolo and Denian Arcoleo in two well done versions. I wanted to extend this humble offering to our own Tom Gwilt (tgwilt) who reported that his wife of 30 years was just moved to hospice care. While I do not know Tom and his wife, one thing a community such as this can do is offer up that which brings us together - music. Tom, your sharing of your story of love really moved me, so I offer my humble interpretation of Neil Gow's Lament to you and you wife.

Best regards,

Ken Brown
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Gow, Neil - Lament

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:32 am

Wow, Ken, this is absolutely gorgeous!!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Thank you so much for sharing your playing with us. I'm sure that Tom will find some comfort in the support of your musical thoughts and the rest of our wonderful community. :D

Please don't be shy about contributing more recordings. I do hope that our paths will cross someday in this lovely city!

Best wishes,

Alan

Erik Zurcher

Postby Erik Zurcher » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:34 am

Lovely, Ken. I enjoyed that and I appreciate your gesture towards Tom Gwilt. :merci: :bravo:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Jose-Guitarra8a

Postby Jose-Guitarra8a » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Thank you for sharing your beautiful performance. It moved me. :discussion:

Julio

Postby Julio » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:08 pm

i agree with all other forum members that have posted. Moving. one word to describe this. I am noticing that this piece slowly is gaining fame here an popularity on Delcamp. what a true gem of a piece!

Kenbobpdx

Postby Kenbobpdx » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks for the kind words from all of you. Julio, cookie does fantastic transcriptions. This one really works well on the guitar. There are other versions on the forum, too, that you may want to look at. David Russell has recorded a different version altogether that is quite haunting and I believe it is available from a few sheet music sites.

Best,

Ken
Abraham Lincoln

Julio

Postby Julio » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:38 pm

Ken,
thanks for the guidance and advice. i will heed it well! indeed i have found cookie's version. i am locating others as well. amaaaaazing piece!

cheers,
julio.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Very nicely played indeed :casque:

:bravo:

Figolo

Postby Figolo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:52 pm

thank you Kenbobpdx for your recording of beautiful Lament.
Bravo I lisen your interpretation with pleasure and It move me too.

:merci: :bravo:

Kenbobpdx

Postby Kenbobpdx » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Denian and Figolo,
Thank you both for your kind words. It was the recordings by both of you of David Crooks' transcription that got me interested in this piece as it was not a piece I was familiar with. Given the high quality of both of your recordings I posted this with trepidation.

I am just now starting to use my recorder that I got a couple of months ago. I have to say the darn thing picks up every little sound. I live in an old house with what the Japanese would refer to as "singing floors." Some of the squeaks in the recording were actually my floor "singing" along as I shifted my weight on the stool. One take had the cat munching away in the background. Another had our owl finch fluttering around. There was another that was going quite well when my wife interrupted to tell me to stop playing the piano. I wasn't playing the piano - my daughter had the iPad under her covers listening to piano music. I had to delete that take so the evidence of the swear words won't come back to haunt me.

Best,

Ken
Abraham Lincoln

Jstanley01

Postby Jstanley01 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:38 pm

wrong thread... :desole:

BTW, I am currently learning Lament using this and other recordings here as guides...

:merci:
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

palon.it

Postby palon.it » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 pm

:casque: oh, what a beautiful piece! So involving... thank you for sharing it
:bye:

Kenbobpdx

Postby Kenbobpdx » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:28 pm

You are quite welcome. Thanks for the listen.
Abraham Lincoln

banksam

Postby banksam » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Beautiful! Thanks Ken. I haven't heard this piece for years. I used to have a duet arrangement for recorders or similar instruments. I must seek it out again.

Kenbobpdx

Postby Kenbobpdx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 pm

banksam,
the transcription of this version is by cookie (David Crooks) here on the forum. He does very good transcriptions. I added some ornamentation but other than that stayed true to his work. Check out the other interpretations by figolo, Erik Zurcher, and Denian Arcoleo. We all used cookie's transcription but the interpretations are quite different, but all very good.
Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Our recordings of Classical music”