Gow, Neil - Lament for the Death of His Second Wife

Audio and video recordings of classical music (1760-1850, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli). Your own interpretations of music that is in the public domain.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/01 Etude - D05 Video
or Mozart, W. A. - K545 Sonata, Allegro - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Au Clair de la Lune - D01 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048).
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Erik Zurcher

Re: Gow, Neil - Lament

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Kenbobpdx wrote:We all used cookie's transcription but the interpretations are quite different, but all very good.
You are absolutely right, Ken. All versions on this forum are different, yet all are enjoyable. I love this piece so much that I hope for more versions from our members.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

andmathews

Post by andmathews » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:50 am

That was a very expressive performance of my favorite Niel Gow piece. I have not seen the sheet music but it sounds somewhat difficult.
It is such an exquisite work and such a nice arrangement. You play it very well.
I was blessed to actually hear this piece in Blair Castle (where Niel Gow frequently performed) this summer. Our tour guide was a gifted Scottish fiddler and they allowed him to re-string Niel's fiddle and perform for us. It was quite a surreal experience.
Thanks for your performance.
Andmathews

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:26 pm

andmathews wrote:That was a very expressive performance of my favorite Niel Gow piece. I have not seen the sheet music but it sounds somewhat difficult.
It is such an exquisite work and such a nice arrangement. You play it very well.
I was blessed to actually hear this piece in Blair Castle (where Niel Gow frequently performed) this summer. Our tour guide was a gifted Scottish fiddler and they allowed him to re-string Niel's fiddle and perform for us. It was quite a surreal experience.
Thanks for your performance.
Andmathews
Thanks for the kind words re the performance. Cookie's arrangement is actually quite accessible. It falls easily under the fingers as long as one is comfortable working up the fretboard a ways. I simply added ornamentation where I felt it made sense. Sometimes I play it straight, though. After many years playing Celtic and Scottish music I still can't get a good Scottish turn like fiddlers can!
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:10 pm

So beautiful - and moving. It flows so naturally. Wonderful. :casque: :merci:
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:04 am

lucy wrote:So beautiful - and moving. It flows so naturally. Wonderful. :casque: :merci:
Thanks, Lucy.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Erik Zurcher

Re: Gow, Neil - Lament for the Death of His Second Wife - mp3

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Bump. Corrupted mp3 file replaced.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Return to “Our recordings of Classical music”