Hello from Cranbrook BC, Canada!

Jim Bailey

Hello from Cranbrook BC, Canada!

Post by Jim Bailey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:51 am

My name is Jim Bailey. I originally played piano. When I moved to Vancouver in 1970 I couldn't assume that I would have access to a piano, so I went to the Bytown Market in Ottawa and bought a classical guitar. In Vancouver I found Michael Strutt (http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e ... trutt-emc/) who gave me lessons until he moved to Montreal in 1973. At that time I bought a Kohno guitar (no. 15), but played it less and less as I became busier and busier. But recently I had a chance to buy one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen, built by Bob Holroyd (https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 2554&hl=en) and have started playing again. What is my level? I would have to say "beginner, but improving quickly."

George Crocket

Re: Hello from Cranbrook BC, Canada!

Post by George Crocket » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:45 am

Hello Jim.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will agree that this vast resource for supporting classical guitarists would have made life so much easier all those years ago. If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules.

You need a second post to subscribe to the 002 usergroup which gives privileges including access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection (see here). After 20 posts the 020 usergroup has more privileges, not least access to the higher levels of sheet music in Delcamp's library.

It is helpful if members include their location in their Profile - click on your username and edit.

Enjoy your visits.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Jim Bailey

Post by Jim Bailey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Thank you George! I recently figured out that I have a profile which I have edited and I believe that it now has my location.

At the moment I am treading carefully. I am a bit overwhelmed at how much information is here. I just read the posts on gut strings, I built a renaissance lute which I play (teacher: Victor Coelho) so I have some experience with gut; I have decided to try playing the classical guitar without nails and a modified lute (thumb-under) technique. It will take some time.

The online lessons look interesting, but will have to wait until I have more time.

rguitar

Post by rguitar » Fri May 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Jim,

I was searching the forum for Holroyd and came across your post. I also have a Holroyd guitar and am interested to hear about other guitars that Bob built. I haven't been able to find much information about him or his other guitars, although I've spoken to a few people who knew him during his Montreal days.

My guitar is #13 - apparently the first classical he built.

Thanks for that link to his obituary. Do you happen to know if that CBC interview is available from anywhere?

Ross

Return to “Introduce yourself”