Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Renee's Dad

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Renee's Dad » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:45 pm

My name is Terry, I am husband and father (one girl, age 12), and for a living a probate attorney working in Lake Oswego, Oregon, though we reside in Vancouver, Washington – just across the Columbia River. I'm originally from Texas, where I was born and raised (family mainly still there). I've only recently picked up my dusty old Yamaha CG-170S, after almost 20 years of not playing. After I got out of the Army in 1987, I moved to Seattle to attend University of Washington (BA in Korean language and literature), and while there I took classical lessons from Patricio Contreras from 1988 through 1991. I continued playing off and on after that, till about 1998. I'm not sure why I stopped, but once our daughter was born in 2003, my time was spent pretty much on work and family.

Over this last summer, two YouTube videos caught my eye (and ear), and led me to pick up the guitar again. The first was, surprisingly to me, a clip of Hawaiian slack-key guitarist Daniel Ho playing his tribute to his daughter, "Lia". I believe he is primarily a steel-string guitarist, but this clip was part of video on the guitars made by Pepe Romero (the luthier, not the guitarist), and was of Daniel playing one of Romero's nylon-stringed instruments. The tune really got to me – maybe because we took our first trip to Maui in April? I don't know. The second video was of Tavi Jinariu playing "Wild Mountain Thyme" on a Cordoba Master Series Torres – beautiful sound. Not sure why these two videos convinced me to start again—maybe it was just timing—but I'm happy they did.

I am seriously wanting one of the Cordoba Master Series guitars (the Hauser is particularly tempting), but simply cannot justify the expense at my level of play. I will be buying a Cordoba C10 this winter, once I can decide on cedar or spruce – I'm leaning towards the spruce.
I am not currently taking lessons, but I am thinking about it. While my skills (to be honest, I never was THAT good) have faded, oddly my "ear" for playing seems to have improved. I seem now to know what sound I'm looking for, even if I cannot replicate it. Interesting, and frustrating at times, but I think a sign of good things to come.

Right now I'm slowly pulling out old sheet music and seeing what I can possibly try playing – much of it is now WAY too hard for me. I'm currently playing around with "Wild Mountain Thyme" (Tennant's version, as adapted by Jinariu, which is doable), Daniel Ho's "Lia" (nowhere close to classical, but nice – though with some difficulties), a number of the easier Sor studies, and a few other pieces from my past. Yesterday I started "Preludio de Adios" by Montes, and it shows promise (not too difficult, just some slightly awkward left hand fingerings). I am haunted by Andrew York's "Lament", and hope to tackle it someday - Tavi's video of it playing both spruce and cedar models of the Cordoba Torres, has left me undecided which is better for me.

I haven't really been active on a forum since a bunch of my friends got booted from puff.com (a cigar forum), but look forward to participating in this one. If you're ever in the Portland area, and want to have a lunchtime cigar at the local shop and talk guitar, things Korean, or just cigars, let me know.
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Hello Terry and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have made 2 posts, you should subscribe to the 002 group which gives you access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also enables you to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 002 or 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi Terry;

Your story is similar to a lot of us-- took up guitar, career and family got in the way so guitar fell by the wayside, rediscovered it years later... About a twenty year gap in my case...

Portland has a great classical guitar scene. If you ever have a chance to attend a concert at the chapel at Marylhurst, do so. The acoustics are amazing there.

Regards,

oski79
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Welcome Terry from near the Border in Blaine Wa. I too have a similar story. I've learned WMT and Preludio (the first tune I heard in my Steve Ganz "Solidarity"). Both beautiful and accessible. Another one I think you may like is Cantilena by Hillary Fields from Seattle. viewtopic.php?t=99319
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:Welcome Terry from near the Border in Blaine Wa. I too have a similar story. I've learned WMT and Preludio (the first tune I heard in my Steve Ganz "Solidarity"). Both beautiful and accessible. Another one I think you may like is Cantilena by Hillary Fields from Seattle. viewtopic.php?t=99319
Rick, thanks for the link to "Cantilena" - lovely piece, which will accompany me on my commute home tonight. I think I will make quick work of Preludio, then focus on the dynamics - there are dozens of videos available (wish YouTube was around in the late '80s!), but so far Jinariu's version sounds best to my ears.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:35 pm

oski79 wrote:Portland has a great classical guitar scene. If you ever have a chance to attend a concert at the chapel at Marylhurst, do so. The acoustics are amazing there.
Would that be Marylhurst University's Wiegand Hall? I think there's a student (Portland Classic Guitar) recital there on December 10. Perhaps you mean St. Anne’s Chapel?
Last edited by Renee's Dad on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi Terry, allow me to add another welcome from a "hiatus guy" as the above posts indicate, you are not alone. Law School had a similar effect on my study and playing, but as my career advanced (Cook County Public Defender), I made more time and am happily back at it. From the reading of your current study pieces, I'd say you are well on your way. Enjoy the forum!
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Renee's Dad wrote:
oski79 wrote:Portland has a great classical guitar scene. If you ever have a chance to attend a concert at the chapel at Marylhurst, do so. The acoustics are amazing there.
Would that be Marylhurst University's Wiegand Hall? I think there's a student (Portland Classic Guitar) recital there on December 10. Perhaps you mean St. Anne’s Chapel?
I don't recall which exactly. I saw Bertha Rojas there some years back, and after the second piece she stopped and said "I hope it sounds as good to you in the back as it does up here!" It really was memorable.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:12 pm

oski79 wrote:I don't recall which exactly. I saw Bertha Rojas there some years back, and after the second piece she stopped and said "I hope it sounds as good to you in the back as it does up here!" It really was memorable.
Looks like that was in 2011. St. Anne's chapel. Both venues looks great, though.

I'm happy to say I will be starting lessons with William Jenks at Marylhurst University this Thursday. Just a couple hours a month, see how it goes. Why am I suddenly nervous? :wink:

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 am

Rick Hutt wrote:Hi Terry, allow me to add another welcome from a "hiatus guy" as the above posts indicate, you are not alone. Law School had a similar effect on my study and playing, but as my career advanced (Cook County Public Defender), I made more time and am happily back at it. From the reading of your current study pieces, I'd say you are well on your way. Enjoy the forum!
Thanks for the welcome, Rick. I find myself thinking about CG more than wills & trusts - even at the office :shock: - but certainly am enjoying getting back into playing.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi Terry,
Welcome and it's great to hear that my video was of some usage to you as you picked up the classical guitar again. Keep up the good work and let me know if there is anything I can do to be of help to you. Also, the guys on this forum are very helpful and supportive, from my experience.
Life is too short to play music you don't really like!

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Tavi Jinariu wrote:Hi Terry,
Welcome and it's great to hear that my video was of some usage to you as you picked up the classical guitar again. Keep up the good work and let me know if there is anything I can do to be of help to you. Also, the guys on this forum are very helpful and supportive, from my experience.
Thanks, Tavi. To be honest, it's not just the one video of yours - I only recently learned how to download YouTube videos into the Camera Roll on my iPhone, and now my phone is loaded with your videos. I've got nasty commutes morning and evening, and your playing sounds wonderful through the car stereo.

I've ordered the sheet music for York's "Lament", which is one of yours I listen to daily - that piece just pulls at my heartstrings (which is about the sappiest thing I've said in a while...) and I am hoping you'll put a tutorial up of it one day on your website. You'll probably do so just after I work through the piece... :D

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)

ardytomas

Post by ardytomas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Hello Terry,
I also took lessons from Patricio. 1988-1995.
Remember the seasonal recitals? We may have played in a duet or trio at the time. He is a great teacher.

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 pm

ardytomas wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 pm
Hello Terry,
I also took lessons from Patricio. 1988-1995.
Remember the seasonal recitals? We may have played in a duet or trio at the time. He is a great teacher.
Hi, Tomas! I haven't logged in here for some time. But yes, I'm sure we'd recognize one another if we met - I went by Joe back then -

I think '89 was the first one of the three I played in - found this sheet tucked into a book of Sor studies. Makes one feel a bit old, no?

Are you still in the Seattle area? And do you know what Patricio is up to? Is he still playing at The Herbfarm?

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)

ardytomas

Post by ardytomas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Hey Terry,
Great to hear from you. Yes, the program makes me feel old! Foggy, but I remember we did a duet or trio in one of the recitals. Scott is teaching Suzuki method, Patricio is still at the herb farm. He has a CD out called Lavender. I still live in Seattle. The Seattle Guitar Society has an open mic a month at Phinney Neighborhood Center.
Check it out. Shall we find an easy duet to play?
Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Introduce yourself”