Greetings from McKinney, Texas!

ekxxi

Greetings from McKinney, Texas!

Post by ekxxi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi everyone!

I started playing guitar when I was 14-ish (I’m now 45) and bored on my summer vacation. I found my step-brother’s forgotten cheap Harmony(?) electric guitar one day under a bed and decided to try and figure it out. I started by playing one note-at-a time and was so frustrated that it sounded nothing like what I heard on recordings. It’s funny - I had no concept of chords on the guitar back then. LOL Once I figured out that I could play two notes together, that was something! I even hammered-out a crude attempt at the Scorpions’ “Rock You Like a Hurricane” intro by ear using barred parallel 4ths – ohh, that was so-o-o cool to me! Shortly after that, a school friend who had his own guitar showed me a tiny lick he had learned with a bluesy string-bend and I was hooked. Eventually, I began to figure out real chords, some theory gleaned from choir classes, etc. all on my own (this was PRE-Internet!) and played in my high-school pop ensemble and my own garage-band. After I graduated, I enrolled as a music major studying classical guitar at my local junior college, and won an “Outstanding Music Student” award, partly for learning some pieces that were quite complicated for my level including Tárrega’s “Recuerdos de la Alhambra” and “Capricho Árabe”. Even so, my pursuit there was interrupted when a summer job in Dallas unexpectedly offered me a full-time position working with one of their computer systems. I was sick of being broke and feeling confined in my “small” town - how could I turn this down when the tech industry was just starting to explode? Surely I could work full time and do school, too, yes? Yeah, tried that… not recommended.

So… to make a long story short… I eventually did have the opportunity to go back to school. In spite of taking more time than usual and struggling with health complications, I finally completed my BM in classical guitar performance. I taught while in school and have done some since then; but, honestly, after graduation I was utterly exhausted and had to tend to my wellness. These days, I’m regularly playing electric bass in a culturally Latino church; and, my nephew has suddenly expressed interest in learning guitar, which has moved me to dust-off my teaching hat and come here for a little inspiration. Thanks!

Erik Zurcher

Re: Greetings from McKinney, Texas!

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:01 pm

Hello ekxxi and welcome to Delcamp forum! Enjoy yourself and see you around!

To learn more about this forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page

You already have access to all the mp3 files and videos in our recording sections, and to all members' scores. Once you have had 2 messages approved by the moderators, you will get access to levels 1 - 3 of the Delcamp score collection, and also be able to post your own scores and recordings.

After you have posted 20 messages, you will be able to subscribe to the 020 group, which will allow you to download the remaining levels of the Delcamp scores. Bear in mind that the quality of your messages is taken into account by the Moderators when approving an application. Messages which are too similar, or without interest will not be counted.

To subscribe to the 020 group, select the relevant group on the User Groups page and then click on Submit. It may take a day or two to be approved.

- We advise members to add their location in their profile. To add your location, click on your Username (top right of the page, select User Control Panel, then on the "Profile" tab, and then type your town and state or country, or even just your country, into the field next to "Location:"
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Renee's Dad

Post by Renee's Dad » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 am

Save me from doing a Google search - where's McKinney? I'll tell you where Deer Park,TX is...
Box, wooden, six strings each.

Cordoba C10 SP/IN (2016)
Yamaha CG-170S (mid-80s, owned since '88)

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:16 pm

It's right up 75 from me.....
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

ekxxi

Post by ekxxi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Yep... Just north of Plano and east of Frisco. Of course, all of the "suburbs" here seem to be merging into each other these days; so, for those unfamiliar with the landscape: it's just north of Dallas.

fraim

Post by fraim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:51 am

welcome, from a guy down 75 in the Big D

Return to “Introduce yourself”